Surdiac 616

Dremel
Stoker Coal Boiler: William Myers
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning 400

Post by Dremel » Tue. Apr. 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Is this normal Surdiac 616 wear-n-tear or was this thing over-fired ?

Attachments

surdiac616a.jpg
.JPG | 114.7KB | surdiac616a.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 04, 2017 6:36 pm

I've seen worse. Looks like they were burnin lots of wood in her--everything is salvageable if ya got the desire.

Dremel

Post by Dremel » Tue. Apr. 04, 2017 7:08 pm

I'd like to burn coal in it. If it's worth it I'll fix it. Does the 616 make a decent coal burner ?

Thanks,
B

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Apr. 04, 2017 7:27 pm

It was designed for coal only, but it'll burn anything combustible. The hopper is pretty beat, but not abnormal, like Fred said. The grates look OK. Hoppers are expensive to replace, and there's a furniture place in Pa (?), that sells them, and other parts for Surdiacs.
I can't remember the name, but can find out if you like. Punch in Surdiacs in the search bubble above, and you'll find some info. That little stove will throw some heat, but is limited, depending on your requirements. What are your plans for coal heating?

Dremel

Post by Dremel » Tue. Apr. 04, 2017 7:40 pm

I think the place in PA is http://www.myersfurniturepa.com/surdiac-stove-accessories/ ?

I was thinking I would replace a wood stove with something, this came up for free. Of course, as with lots of free stuff, it's not really free right? The woodstove is a 3 cubic foot stove, it's big but has a big appetite too! It doesn't last overnight. I don't think this little 616 would burn overnight either..

All the glass is there, one of the smaller grates is broken but serviceable. If this one doesn't work out for me, I'm sure it have some good parts for someone else here.

"No such thing as a free boat..." -Me

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Like Joe said--punch in Surdiacs--top right corner--SEARCH--ya might be surprised!

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Wed. Apr. 05, 2017 8:19 am

Good day Dremel,

How big of a place do you want to heat. Surdiacs are good stoves, but do have limitations. I currently have a 513 and I can get 12 to 16 hour burns out of it depending on heat output. The hopper can be salvaged, the main thing you need to check is the heat exchanger in the back. They rust out due to fly ash just sitting in the bottom. Also you clear ash by riddling the grates not shaking. As others have said do a quick search and you will find Joeq's extensive "diary" on his old Surdiac.

Tim

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Sep. 04, 2017 7:02 pm

I had one given to me and after the heat exchanger rusted through I got rid of it. Honestly it was a big mistake. I know I could have salvaged it. I thought it was a great stove, could get 14 hour burn times, and made me the coal burner I am today. Keep in mind I have plenty of forest yet I would rather sell firewood and burn coal.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”