Russo CW1

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 8:24 pm

N--do a post like ya been--scroll down till ya see upload attachment--click scroll down & hit browse--should take ya to your pix--double click on the one ya want to post--hit- add the file and then hit submit--hope thjat works:) Real good point MA makes! Go back 1 page!!& read last post N.

Attachments

004.JPG
.JPG | 63.5KB | 004.JPG

Never done coal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo Cw1

Post by Never done coal » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Ok, I will take a few pictures of this Russo CW2 so you guys can see what this thing is. If you were to get a hitzer. Would you get the model with the EZ flow gravity feed, or just the hand feed model? I will post the pictures later this week. Thank you all for the help.this site is pretty cool, with you all helping. Thank you

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 9:11 pm

This right here would look fabulous sitting in your living room. It heats really good too.

Attachments

20170402_210848.jpg
.JPG | 115.9KB | 20170402_210848.jpg

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm not sure you can get the hopper in a insert--BUT, I'll swear by my 50-93 with hopper. As in above pix or my avatar it's freestanding. Don't mind Lee, he has a bizarre artists' taste! :)

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Hope this helps but I have a Hitzer 50-93 with EZ-Flow hopper and it runs like it is on auto-pilot. Just set the desired room temp with the rear magnetic damper, shake it and feed it. That's about it. I was/am a anthracite novice and the Hitzer is easy to operate. I tend it twice a day though I could go to once a day because I never had to push the stove for the heat I want. I could have bought the 30-95 (smaller model) and it would have done just as well for me.
If as your forum info says you are just one hour south of coal country you will get better prices on coal as compared to some of us who must have it trucked a hundred or so miles. I invested 30+ years in burning wood for whole house heat and that includes the full process from tree in the woods and all the fun things in between to finally throwing it in the stove :baby: When I went to coal I never looked back!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 9:39 pm

There are better stoves to get a feel for coal. You should be able to find a reasonable priced Hitzer like Fred's or deepwoods or one of the other user friendly coal stoves before next fall as you live in PA. Watch craigslist religiously and you will find a deal. Even if a used stove needs parts they are available if you stay with the still made stoves... Hitzer, chubby, Harmon's, DS, etc. Sell the Russo to a wood burner. Hopper stoves are easier to keep running but theres nothing wrong with a stove without one either. Get one with a higher BTU rating than you need and you will be glad you did. Like deepwoods said, you will never go back to wood once you try coal.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 9:51 pm

NDC, at this point I might suggest this;

1- If you know you're gonna buy new.

2- You and the interior designer like the Hitzer.

Go for it and start out by learning the stove you are gonna use. Each stove has it's own idiosyncrasies and you might as well learn it from the start. I can tell you this much, I burnt wood in an Outdoor Wood boiler for 15 years (5 to 8 cords a year) and I'm not going back to that. You WILL wonder why you didn't go to coal sooner. Sell the wood you have and put it toward coal or the stove. If you have space to store that much wood you got space to get a load of coal. I got 10 ton 2 summers ago and still have 1/2 of it left and I heat a majority of the 2100 sq ft rancher I live in with one stove. ( the rest is heated with oil hydronic.) At the very top left of this page is a "Fuel Comparison Calculator" plug your price for wood into it and update some of the other numbers and see what you get.

Never done coal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo Cw1

Post by Never done coal » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Bunkerdcaddis!

Your so right. She likes the hitzler. And I just want a happy life. Haha. I have plenty of room, and funny I looked into an outside wood burner. And thought I would be crazy to invest in that. I even looked at a professional wood splitting unit. To cut the time in half. I am in the aggregate and mining industry. I deal with coal mines in northeast I sell parts and service crusher's in quarries and in the coal mines I sell parts for the drag lines and the shovels. I have picked there brains, about burning anthracite for a while now. I finally got the bug to give anthracite coal a try. And thanks to you guys my head is not spinning out of control. I also have oil boiler with baseboard water for heat. I thought of getting a coal boiler. But I travel the whole northeast. And keeping the hopper full of coal wood be hard. Not for me, but for my other half. She does great keeping a fire going and starting one. Don't get me wrong. But having a whole house unit I know while I would be gone, it would run out of coal. That's why we would like a insert. If it goes out that's fine, there is still a heater with a tank of oil in it.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 2:03 am

Then the HITZER insert sounds like she would fit your needs real well. AS said--get it & we'll walk ya through what ya have concerns with.:)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 10:02 am

michaelanthony wrote: The cheapest way to find out about burning coal is with a stove designed for it. You won't be disappointed with a Hitzer stove. ;)
Exactly!
As a general rule we have found that so-called "combination" appliances never seem to burn anthracite very well. They work great on wood.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 9:12 pm

warminmn wrote:Hopper stoves are easier to keep running but there's nothing wrong with a stove without one either.
Nothing wrong with a stove without a hopper, but there's a lot right with a hopper. ;) Having used both I absolutely recommend the hopper.
warminmn wrote:Get one with a higher BTU rating than you need and you will be glad you did.
Yes. Even the good manufacturers lie like crazy about BTUs. My stove is manufacturer-rated at 55,000 BTU and if I push it really hard I estimate output is maybe 35,000. But you don't want to be pushing it hard all the time. I'd say 20,000 BTU/hour is a "comfortable" burn rate. That's 60 pounds of coal per day.
[Allowing for 65% efficiency -- 60 pounds X 8,000 BTU/pound = 480,000 BTU
480,000 BTU / 24 hours = 20,000 BTU/hour]

20,000 BTU reasonable output is a far cry from the manufacturer's 55,000 promise.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”