Russo Stove Problem

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 11:11 pm

I have been using my Russo for about 8 years or so. Last winter the grates started jamming pretty consistently. I broke a grate because of this and switched brands of coal to something that had better sizing. Has anyone had a problem with these jamming? I am thinking that maybe the side bricks are worn so smaller pieces are getting wedged in there between the grate and the brick. I replace the rear bricks pretty much every season because they crack. It has gotten to the point that I can barely use the stove. The grates are not warped.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 7:05 am

Is the saddle the grate rests in removable? It may be warped/cracked itself causing a jam. You should replace the old firebrick, they will come apart and give you serious anus issues. They don't break like clinkers and can break fingers on the grate.

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2017 7:10 am

I will have to check that, the metal piece that holds the rear firebricks in is warped and coming off the back of the stove. I don't think that is causing the issue though. I think it was mostly from the poor sizing of the Reading coal I was using. I switched to Lehigh this year and it is working better now.

Since I have a pair of broken grates where the shaker handle goes in I was thinking of drilling a hole on the other side of the stove so I can reuse the broken grate. Both grates have a spot for a shaker handle on the other side of the stove. I just need to figure out what to plug the other side with. I was thinking of just using a nut and bolt to fill the hole. Has anyone tried this?

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”