First Fire of the Season in the Wehrle

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 10:30 am

Better yet, put a couple of rocking chairs and a coffee table piled up with parts and equipment catalogs !

That stove might just help raise your sales. ;)

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 11:05 am

WOW JJ, my favorite stove... one day ...

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Better yet, put a couple of rocking chairs and a coffee table piled up with parts and equipment catalogs !

That stove might just help raise your sales. ;)

Paul
I couldn't think of a more relaxing way to spend a snowy winters day than sitting around one of these stoves with a rocking chair and a nice big cigar. However the cigar burn time is far less than the stove....... :mad:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Just stunning. After the painstaking, detailed work you did on this stove is now paying off. No doubt this is a showstopper.
Also a slight jab at those who horde and collect these stoves by the dozens and never put a fire in the first one.
These things were made to do what this one is doing; heat any desired space in the most efficient manner possible.

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 1:01 pm

wsherrick wrote:Just stunning. After the painstaking, detailed work you did on this stove is now paying off. No doubt this is a showstopper.
Also a slight jab at those who horde and collect these stoves by the dozens and never put a fire in the first one.
These things were made to do what this one is doing; heat any desired space in the most efficient manner possible.
Thanks William! I agree with your comment about the hoarders. I know a guy who has three very large metal buildings completely packed with Allis-Chalmers model G tractors and every piece of equipment ever made for them. There are way over 50 of the tractors and who knows how many types of equipment. I've seen them and it makes me kind of mad because I know a lot of people who could really use one of the tractors in their gardens, but every time one comes up for sale, it doesn't matter what the price is, that guy buys it and puts it away. He does nothing else with them.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 1:42 pm

jubileejerry wrote:
wsherrick wrote:Just stunning. After the painstaking, detailed work you did on this stove is now paying off. No doubt this is a showstopper.
Thanks William! I agree with your comment about the hoarders. I know a guy who has three very large metal buildings completely packed with Allis-Chalmers model G tractors and every piece of equipment ever made for them. There are way over 50 of the tractors and who knows how many types of equipment. I've seen them and it makes me kind of mad because I know a lot of people who could really use one of the tractors in their gardens, but every time one comes up for sale, it doesn't matter what the price is, that guy buys it and puts it away. He does nothing else with them.
DO NOT introduce him to coal :lol: :lol:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 1:47 pm

it doesn't matter what the price is, that guy buys it and puts it away. He does nothing else with them.
Makes me mad too. I know of people who collect coal stoves that could keep others warm and yet won't part with them .... OH, WAM here. :? I did have a 190 that I loved but would not get serviced so it had to go. I never knew what you could usefully do with a G.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 6:21 pm

What an unbelievable stove. As many as I have . Don't have anything as pretty as that. Beautiful !!

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Thu. Dec. 01, 2016 6:22 pm

image.png
.PNG | 843KB | image.png
Close but not not really !!!

Candyman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove

Post by Candyman » Fri. Dec. 02, 2016 9:25 am

I agree if you have these stoves use them, it will educate people about coal heating.

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Merc300d wrote:
The attachment image.png is no longer available
Close but not not really !!!
I don't know, I think yours is pretty nice, too. Nickle is expensive to do, and that's all yours is lacking, but the nickle doesn't make it work any better, and as they say, chrome won't get you home.

Since I've only been burning this coal for one year now, I feel like a real novice and I know I have a lot to learn, so I do some experimenting to see what happens if I change something. The last time I bought coal at the TSC store was the end of the season and the manager threw in a couple of bags of rice they'd opened just to show people what it looked like. Today I had an idea. My Wehrle says right on the lid, "USE CHESTNUT COAL". I'm not one who always follows directions so I wondered what would happen if I put rice in it. I knew if I just poured it in the magazine a lot of it would just go right through the grates, so I burned enough nut this morning to make a nice bed of coals, then filled the scuttle about to 1/3 with the rice and the rest with nut. When I poured it in, the nut went in first and made another layer of coal, then the rice went in and made a nice cap on top of the nut. None of it fell through and before long I had about the prettiest fire I've ever had in the stove. It burned all afternoon and it's 7:30 pm here now, and the stuff was still going strong. Here are some more fire pictures for you:
DSCN1011.JPG
.JPG | 164.6KB | DSCN1011.JPG
DSCN1024.JPG
.JPG | 149.3KB | DSCN1024.JPG
DSCN1021.JPG
.JPG | 119.3KB | DSCN1021.JPG
DSCN1023.JPG
.JPG | 121.7KB | DSCN1023.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Jerry, my brother burned a ton of buckwheat size anthracite in his shop stove and I was surprised at how well it burned. He did the same thing as you and switched to the smaller coal once the fire was established. The guys in the shop actually commented on how easy it was to scoop the smaller coal, and how easy it was to shake down. They burned it for a few weeks until it was gone, and I don't remember any issues with it.

Beautiful pictures by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 8:51 pm

Wow that's neat, you can probably get away with mixing nut and rice or layering it. I would think that you'll be able to idle it down to nearly no heat output and not lose the fire during warm spells with some rice mixed in.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”