Saey Breman 1 Coal Stove Help

holder89
Hand Fed Coal Stove: breman 1
Coal Size/Type: nut antharsite

Post by holder89 » Sat. Nov. 05, 2016 8:17 pm

hello I am a new user on this site. also I am a new at useing coal!!
i baught a house that came with a franco belge coal stove. needlesss to say it was in bad shape cracks etc. so I got rid of it. I just got a saey breman 1 coal stove. I cleaned the chimney very well. its about 18 feet of insulated stainless steel pipe. I lit thsae coal stove up its burining but not hot my stove pipe heat gauge wont budge at all. it get warm but not hot at all. but when I lit it with the wood its went up to about 200 then went back down. is there any thing wrong that im doing or should do.. like I said I am new at coal any help is so much help since winter is fast approcing

thank you.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Nov. 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Welcome to the forum, holder89. Can you finish filling out your profile, especially with a location? There may be a member close by that can help you.
We love pictures, can you post some of your setup?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 05, 2016 8:35 pm

welcome.

What size/type coal are you burning?

What is the outside temperature?

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Nov. 06, 2016 6:08 am

holder89 wrote: its burining but not hot my stove pipe heat gauge wont budge at all. it get warm but not hot at all. but when I lit it with the wood its went up to about 200 then went back down.
Welcome to the forum holder89, I have learned a lot here as there are many learned folks about so you've come to the right place.
A few thoughts though, coal and wood are very different in how you approach burning them. Wood is like a frat party and coal is like a quiet social event with everyone sitting around talking amoungst themselves (at least that's the way you want it). There is a steep learning curve.

More to the heart of you problem though, if you have one of those magnetic stove thermometers, they are notoriously inaccurate, from meh, maybe close? to barely moves to totally unreliable. I have had three, one didn't work, one was within 100* and the other well lets just say it let me know I had a fire in the stove.

All that to say let's verify your temps first, and if you actually are burning well you may not have that high of a stove pipe temp. Right now my little stove has a face temp(right above the door) of 385* and my stove pipe 2' up is barely warm to the touch at 95* and my house is a pleasant 73*. I use an IR thermometer to keep an eye on things and have a probe thermometer to check flue gas temps. See this thread for more on thermometers >>> BunkerdCaddis @ A Probe Thermometer

Oh I wanted to add also Do please make sure you have working CO detectors, I have three, bedroom, basement and the room the stove is in.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Nov. 06, 2016 3:35 pm

If smoke from the wood fire did not back up into the house it would seem you have draft.

My guess as to your problem is that air is bypassing the coal bed.

Wood burns fine with air above the grate, but coal needs the air coming up through the grate and bed of coal to burn. Check for any way that air can rise other than through the grate from below. The coal bed also has to be a minimum depth, about 6 to 8 inches for nut coal.

If the upper door is open this too will kill draft from below.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Nov. 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Thank you for filling out your profile.
If you haven't done it already, go to the 'search' box at the top right of every page, and type in 'saey'. There is page after page of reading material on that brand of stove.

holder89

Post by holder89 » Sun. Nov. 06, 2016 3:55 pm

First off I would like to thank you all for the awsome welcoming. I am burning anthracite nut coal from tractor supply the out side temp got down to around 39 degrees . My stove in in a unfinished basment I do have co2 detectors and also smoke wired through out the house. No smoke pushing out the stove except when lighting . And just a smidge when the stove is warming it comes out of the hopper cover just a little bit then goes away. I can post pictures off all the piping from the stove if this would help out.

Thank you you all again

holder89

Post by holder89 » Tue. Nov. 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Rob R. wrote:welcome.

What size/type coal are you burning?

What is the outside temperature?
I am burning anthracite nut coal from tractor supply is was around 40 deggres8

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”