Russo Coal Stove Question

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I have a russo coal stove and I picked up a spare that has a metal piece that hangs above where the coal fire is. My stove hasn't had that since I have been burning with it. I was thinking maybe it helps the stove hold in more heat before it goes up the chimney. Does anyone have an idea what it would be used for? Or is it for burning wood or something?

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 10:21 pm

If it hangs directly above the front load door, it's to help keep smoke in when the door is opened, while burning wood. If hanging anywhere else in the stove, it's acting as a baffle for heat to go around, before exiting the stove.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 13, 2016 7:59 am

Can you could post pictures of it ? Then we can see where it is, to know what it is.

Paul

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jan. 13, 2016 8:16 am

gratz on the Russo coal stove, the way your describing im sure its the removable upper baffle (these warped pretty bad in many (along with grates), so many would be missing them. the unit that has the baffle in place is likely the better condition unit by virtue of it being in place (maybe that user burned more wood than coal?)... there is also a firebrick retainer towards the front door, the baffle is towards the back (but the front retainer would not be described as a "plate" so im pretty sure its the baffle were talking about, the front would be described as angle iron. great stove im not sure what the #2 size was or if it had the blower above or on sides but some pic's would be great! I always Thought Harman perfected a lot about Russo's design and added many features but both are great!

russocw75
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo CW 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by russocw75 » Wed. Jan. 13, 2016 10:28 am

rrob311 wrote:I have a russo coal stove and I picked up a spare that has a metal piece that hangs above where the coal fire is. My stove hasn't had that since I have been burning with it. I was thinking maybe it helps the stove hold in more heat before it goes up the chimney. Does anyone have an idea what it would be used for? Or is it for burning wood or something?
I don't know about the #2, but the CW75 is a wood/coal stove using a catalytic converter for wood. The bracket containing the converter is located in the area you describe. Perhaps the catalytic cartridge has been removed and you are seeing the bracket only?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 3:30 pm

rrob311 wrote:I have a russo coal stove and I picked up a spare that has a metal piece that hangs above where the coal fire is. My stove hasn't had that since I have been burning with it. I was thinking maybe it helps the stove hold in more heat before it goes up the chimney. Does anyone have an idea what it would be used for? Or is it for burning wood or something?
Gibraltar Inserts.jpg

Part # 8 is a "Coal Banking Plate" cost to replace is ~$200.00

.JPG | 117.2KB | Gibraltar Inserts.jpg

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”