Just Got My Weso Working

sproino
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso

Post by sproino » Thu. Jan. 07, 2016 12:22 am

I don't know if I would have pulled it off without lurking on this forum. Thank you.

My wife and I live in a duplex, with my parents on the other side. We have a porch that runs across the whole front of the house. My father decided to enclose it this year.

He's wanted a wood stove for some time now, and it seemed sensible to put such a thing on the newly enclosed porch. I was able to steer him towards coal with how it's less expensive and cleaner on the chimney than wood.

Mom and I both wanted a Russian stove, but there was hardly room for such a brick monstrosity. I found a few reasonably priced Weso stoves on Craigslist, drove out to see one, and bought it that night.

There was a crack on the back running from the shaker grate linkage hole up to where the fluepipe connects. After discussing it with my installer, we opted to relieve the crack and patch it, with me doing the relief drilling and him patching it.

After a trip to Easton to pick up fuel, my father and I tried twice to fire up the stove. Embarrassingly, I managed, at one point, to have a wood fire go out in that stove. Then the shaker grate linkage broke.

A rod of 4140, an air-acetylene torch, and a hammer and anvil later, and we had a replacement that's much less likely to break.

After a neighbor with a coal fireplace insert added a few pointers from his experience, I succeeded in the third attempt to light the stove.

About fifteen minutes later, we were wondering who had thrown some tennis shoes onto the fire.

A late night call waking up the installer, and I found out that he had used an exhaust manifold patching material to seal the crack, and that it would burn off in the first use. What might be a mild odor on a car outside was unbearable inside, and smoked us out of our house. Running your attic fan in 20 degree weather? Not fun. The smoke stopped around 4 AM, but the smell is still lingering around the house.

It did, however, burn down very nicely. It was still lit nine hours after I'd started it, but had gone out by eleven hours. That's reasonable, as I had the damper opened 2/3 to ensure that it would stay hot and lit so we'd burn off the sealant quickly. When I went to fill it tonight, I had about an inch of large and hard ash pieces left in the middle, and an inch and a half on the sides.

Tonight, I fired it up just after 7 and shook it down and topped it off around 11. I'm hoping to refill it on hot coals tomorrow morning, around 9.

Again, thanks to everybody who posed their experience with Weso stoves in particular and coals stoves in general on this forum. I'm not sure I could've done it without you.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Jan. 07, 2016 4:30 am

Welcome to the forum!!!!

So glad to hear about your positive experience with a used stove. Some folks starting out with coal on their first try AND using a used stove throw in the towel and say "this is too hard." Congrats for hanging in there.

You mentioned hard pieces of ash. You are probably getting clinkers. That is ash that has fused together and kinda looks like granola crossed with lava rocks. That is caused by running the stove HOT! Run it as cool as is comfortable. Coal is not like wood. You don't have to get the fire roaring hot because it will stay lit for 10+ hours if you are mindful of the stove.

Again Congrats and try running the stove a little cooler by closing down on the air inlet. You control a coal stove by how much air you allow into it, not by how much you choke it down like with a wood fire.

cozyinn32123
Coal Size/Type: WESC coal and wood

Post by cozyinn32123 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 7:21 am

WESO Ceramic Tile / Iron Stove.

I have two stoves purchased in 1986. I burn both stoves using wood and coal.

I use an old recipe to start burning in the "cold stove". COLD ASH dumped into an
empty, 2lb plastic coffee tub (lid a must, quite smelly). Fill half full, add diesel fuel,
(2 cups) mixing up a very damp "mud".

Placing kindling into the stove, adding a half cup of the ash/diesel mixture, light,
and allow to burn slowly, close door. This allowing the stove to draft, avoiding the
"back draft" burning paper. Open door and spread the mud mixture gently over
kindling.

I burn wood, though the chamber is quite small. I burn coal during high winds, and
days / nights I want the stove to have hot coals, for an easy, quick-start up by adding
kindling and then the larger wood.

The Weso stove requires alot of attention, keeping the small chamber filled, using
smaller/shorter wood.

The stoves are lovely and required less room, and always easier to look at year-round.

just peter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso 225 C3, Susler Altan, Wasseralfingen 440, Susler Altan
Coal Size/Type: bituminous coal,

Post by just peter » Fri. Jan. 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Welcome on board, and have fun.
Not to forget we like picture's.
Is your stove like this.

Attachments

SAM_0027.JPG
.JPG | 414.9KB | SAM_0027.JPG

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Jan. 29, 2016 9:00 pm

2 new coal burners! Welcome sproini and cozyinn32123. I wold love to see pic's of your stoves and hear more about them. Always a pleasure just peter, love your stove.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Jan. 29, 2016 10:55 pm

Just Peter's stove install is so well done :D

just peter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso 225 C3, Susler Altan, Wasseralfingen 440, Susler Altan
Coal Size/Type: bituminous coal,

Post by just peter » Sat. Jan. 30, 2016 10:01 am

Thank you my friends, I love my stove to.
Altough its not much winter again.

Peter

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”