Godin Multi Fuel Stove Info Needed

Eric the red

Post by Eric the red » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 8:25 am

I acquired a godin pettie wood and coal stove and it has a manifold on the back that can be reversed to have the chimney pipe hook up to be at different heights. Which way is the best way to burn wood or coal?

Attachments

woodstove2.JPG
.JPG | 82.8KB | woodstove2.JPG
woodstove.JPG
.JPG | 80.1KB | woodstove.JPG

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 8:40 am

Looks like a fun project. I don't know anything about the Godin's, but it seems to me if you had it flipped so the pipe to the chimney is lower that would increase the path for the exhaust and allow a little more heat to be drawn out of it.

Is there already a diverter of some sort inside that manifold to do that? Or is there a port on the lower section of the manifold that allows some of the exhaust to be drawn back under the grates to provide some heated combustion air?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 12:15 pm

That appears to be the large oval. I would use it as in the picture. It would be more efficient reversed but also provide a trap that could be dangerous. The small oval is usually used with the bottom opening. That is,reversed.

Eric the red

Post by Eric the red » Fri. Nov. 20, 2015 7:57 am

No divert er to re burn any gasses. The flow of the exhaust if reversed would only extend the path by entering the upper portion and flow down into the manifold and then up into the pipe and out thru the chimney. My thought is that the manifold would heat up faster and put out more heat also. The way it is hook up in the picture was the position when I acquired the stove. It has a cover plate attached with two wing nuts on the bottom portion of the manifold. My first impression was why not use it in the reversed position because as it is hooked up in the picture the hot exhaust would come out of the fire box and go right up the chimney pipe and out. I did remove the cover plate and checked for debris and soot. Not much was in the manifold as it is hooked up in the picture.
Not sure why it would be dangerous to hook it up with a longer path if you clean the stove pipe regularly. I have not burned coal before always used wood burning and this stove could burn wood also. So I guess I need more education on the dangers of burning coal. I do have two bags of coal from years ago when I acquired a different type of coal stove, just a plain looking steel round tall stove for my garage. I didn't use it much. This stove is a more ornate and looks better than the plain coal stove. I still have that old plain stove but have"t heated the garage in years. I have been burning wood because its always plentiful on my property.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 20, 2015 9:28 am

Yes it will be more efficient reversed because the full area of the manifold becomes heat exchange and if you check for ash buildup it should be safe.

Mt guess as to why they did it like that is because it will draft easier in the upper position which would help if your draft is poor.

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 7:21 pm

With the lower outlet it is easier to place the stove in front of a fireplace. It will need a stronger draft using the lower outlet but does work. The path does clog with ash and it needs to be watched. Burn good coal and you should have no problems...

Do you have reason or need to flip the outlets?

KaptJaq

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 8:16 pm

I started burning coal with a Petite Godin. The pipe on mine was reversed. You are going to be surprised how much heat these little stoves put out. Hope you have a working co detector. I have 3 , Safety First ! Once you have one go into alarm , it gets your attention.

Eric the red

Post by Eric the red » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 7:47 am

I have a 12 by 12 clay flue in my new chimney so I believe it will have enough draft when I use it . still working on the stove. I have w-d 40 working on the screws holding the manifold on , I may have to cut them off. I still have a problem with the stove pipe, its stuck on the manifold. I may try heating the elbow a little with a torch to expand it a little . I
have w-d 40 on it too

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Looked like an angle grinder next to the stove. Unless you have a reason to save the old elbow, I'd cut it off beyond the collar. Then you could get penetrating fluid in from the back side . Maybe a couple of gentle taps on what's left of the elbow, not the collar, would help.

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Eric the red wrote:I have a 12 by 12 clay flue in my new chimney so I believe it will have enough draft when I use it .
12x12 is a lot for that stove. If it is a European model I think it has a 110 mm outlet. Many of the North American units were 5". Do you have the model number off the plate? If you have the model number I might have the manufacturers spec sheet. I have a european large round, the 3721. The cast outlet on it is 110 mm. I had a step-up fabricated so I can use 5" pipe. After about 10' of 5" pipe it hits the thimble and goes into 25' of 8"x8" clay in an internal chimney. Too much flue is as bad as too little. Gases do not stay warm and so do not rise quickly. Is your chimney internal or external? How long?

KaptJaq

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”