Efel Montana (Model 08464) Coal Burning Stove

Swatcommander550

Post by Swatcommander550 » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 1:22 pm

I am thinking about replacing our VC Intrepid II with a Efel Montana stove but I can't seem to find a lot of info on this model. The info that I have found is not in English.

Questions: Are they good quality stoves, very well made? will this burn both, coal and wood? and does it have a cat? I want to get away from stoves that have a cat.

Any info would much appreciated and thank you.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Welcome,

A stove that is really designed to burn coal does not need a cat.

Because of major differences in how they burn, very few multi-fuel stoves can burn both wood and coal and do well with both fuels.

Better to have either a good wood stove, or a good coal stove. The dual fuel stoves can be frustrating to get anthracite to burn well and do a good job of clearing coal ash to keep a good long fire going.

There's lots of posts on this site by folks with problems trying to burn "coal" in stoves they bought that a salesman told them they could also burn coal in. Those stoves were first designed for wood, and a coal burning kit was offered as an afterthought. They don't preform as well as stoves designed right from the start to burn anthracite.

You'll, generally get better results burning wood in a stove that was first designed for coal than the reverse of that.

Paul

Swatcommander550

Post by Swatcommander550 » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank you for the info.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Do a site search for Nestor Martin and you will find your stove. Its going to operate the same as the Bayard and Harmony III stoves. More of a coal stove but there is some good info on here about burning wood in them too. Main things with your stove and coal is to religiously empty the ash pan and to forget about the shaker as it does little. You have to remove the ash with a flat tool thru the holes in the front. You can either make one or use a hacksaw frame of the right length.

Swatcommander550

Post by Swatcommander550 » Tue. Sep. 22, 2015 6:31 am

Thank you.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”