Franco Belge 144.08.02 Manual

Kaplanjc12
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak no Hopper
Coal Size/Type: Nut or Pea

Post by Kaplanjc12 » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi,

I just purchased a home with the Franco Belge 144.08.02 Stove (early 80s) and the previous owners left no paperwork. I haven't the slightest idea how to use the stove. Does anyone have a scan of a manual for the stove that they could send me? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 10:02 am

Here are some relevant pages.

First learn how the stove is constructed by removing the outer parts and inspecting the cleanouts located at the left and right rear corners. The top grill should just lift off. The thermostat knob pulls straight off. Take note of the spring clip in the knob which may come loose. Brush and vacuum out the flue passages if need be. Put a touch of anti-seize compound on the cleanout cover threads and only tighten hand tight. Those studs holding the covers are not large so avoid excess force in removing the thumb nuts. If gasket is falling apart it can be replaced with strips of flat gasket glued to stove body or if all else fails just butter around the covers with furnace cement which cracks off easily when needed to be removed again.

You need a flat poker with offset end and another tool with hook on one end and right angle on the other to hook into the ash pan to hold and remove it. The hook end is to shake the grates with and also to remove the top door to fill with coal. There are two grate extension arms with a hole to hook into. When moved to the left three slots will be uncovered which are used to insert the flat poker used to do a more thorough job of removing ash than shaking alone. When done be sure to cover those slots by moving the grate arms to the right, otherwise the fire gets too much air through them. By pushing down on the grate arms and pulling out a one inch gap is created inside the stove to aid in clean out of an old fire. In ordinary use keep the grate arms pushed in. With the stove empty and cold do these things to observe what is happening.

Install the hopper plate into the highest notch in the supports to insure the deepest bed of burning coal.

When starting a fire there is the problem of keeping the glass clean if wood is used. Some cover the opening with a double sheet of aluminum foil until the wood is burning well. I use a sheet of thin metal with a 1/2 inch bent over top to hang on the stove casting and cover the opening. This makes it easy to pull off to see how the fire is going and also every two weeks or so to open the door and cover the opening to allow the door and glass to cool down to clean the glass. I would urge you to make one. If you use a layer of charcoal to start the fire the glass should stay pretty clean without anything. To start the fire set the thermostat to about 5 and open the ash door . when well lit keep the ash door closed and regulate fire with the thermostat remembering that there is a lot of lag time so small changes at a time until you get the feel, bit by bit add coal. Fill hopper to top once a good bed of burning coal is established.

The illustration though of a different model the inner parts are all the same.

Pea coal is the preferred size of coal to use though you can use nut in a pinch.

Attachments

Franco belge 2.jpg
.JPG | 170.6KB | Franco belge 2.jpg
FB 4.jpg
.JPG | 250.5KB | FB 4.jpg
FB 5.jpg
.JPG | 243.7KB | FB 5.jpg

Kaplanjc12
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak no Hopper
Coal Size/Type: Nut or Pea

Post by Kaplanjc12 » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Great! I will print this information and give it a try. I really appreciate your help.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Look at this comment in manual .Franco Belge comments do not run stove on number 4 more than 2 hours .You will warp rear parts .Just trying to help you .

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Den034071 wrote:Look at this comment in manual .Franco Belge comments do not run stove on number 4 more than 2 hours .You will warp rear parts .Just trying to help you .
What? Could have sworn I read it said not to run it above 6 for more than two hours.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”