Making Room for Surdiac Gotha 513

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Fri. Feb. 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Lobsterman,

I enjoy the look of the stove also and my wife loves it. It has done us good this year as a supplement heater.

Tomorrow I will let the stove die out and do a full clean out before swapping the hoppers. I will relight the stove tomorrow evening and will report back on how it performs in the coming days. Stay tuned.

Tim

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Feb. 19, 2016 9:20 pm

ElCamMan515 wrote:Lobsterman,

I enjoy the look of the stove also and my wife loves it. It has done us good this year as a supplement heater.

Tomorrow I will let the stove die out and do a full clean out before swapping the hoppers. I will relight the stove tomorrow evening and will report back on how it performs in the coming days. Stay tuned.

Tim
All that counts in my book. Enjoy. Will continue to follow the progress.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 8:56 am

This morning I cleaned out the stove and swapped the hoppers. With the forecast to be near 40s I will not relight the stove until this evening as the K-lite can keep the house at 70+ no problem when temps are above 30. Below Ive attached pictures of the hopper that was in the stove. You can see how warped the front of the hopper is and how 'tall' the hopper is for comparison to the cut hopper I just put in the stove. Tonight ill start it with Pea, but also add some Nut to see how it runs.
KIMG0251.jpg
.JPG | 170.3KB | KIMG0251.jpg
KIMG0252.jpg
.JPG | 121.4KB | KIMG0252.jpg
Tim

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 10:04 am

It'll be interesting to see, if you can get the nut size to drop out of the hopper. I've mentioned in my thread, when I tried this, (on 2 occasions), I came down in the morning to a jammed pot where no coals were connecting the hopper to the coal bed. Hopefully your new opened up hopper mouth will allow this. Keep us posted Tim. :)

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Moment of truth everyone.... Started the Surdiac back up and am now slowing filling it up layer by layer with a nut/pea mix As expected it is taking longer to fill as the hopper is higher due to the shortening of the hopper.

Ill keep everyone posted once it is filled and stove is turned down for the night.

Tim

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Don't forget the pics! :)

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 7:00 pm

A Failed Success.....

The nut coal is dropping through the hopper, but it is piling to high and if I open the door it is falling out... I will have to let it burn out and move the hopper down from the highest setting to the lower setting and start it back up tomorrow evening after work.

Til tomorrow.

Tim

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Put a banking bar across the front.

The deeper bed will give longer run times. You probably only need something an inch high.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Franco, I will move the hopper into the lower position and then see if I need a banking bar across the front. With the hopper in the current position it is way to high. You can barely see the bottom of it when looking through the front glass.

Stay tuned.

Tim

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 6:49 am

Small Update..

Last night about 8:30pm, I turned the stove down to 1 on the dial and closed up the MPD for the night to see if the stove would die out or last through the night with a fire box of nut/pea mix. The fire box was mostly black with only a little orange glow you could see through the coals last night, but stove was putting off some good heat nearly 300 on the heat exchanger. Fast forward to 5:30 this morning and stove is still alive. Firebox full of burning coals and will probably last a few more hours before extinguishing itself as I did not put any coal in the stove this morning so I can move the hopper after work.

I think with the Nut/Pea mix I will be able to get longer burn times and good heat a low settings.

Tim

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 5:20 pm

I hope so Tim. We're all ears. :verycool:

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 7:57 pm

And the waiting game begins.

I made a trial screen out of some 13 gauge steel mesh. Loaded the stove up with some nut/pea mix and set mpd to 2/3 closed stove dial on 2 to get stove going. I am sure some people will say the screen will not last, I agree it may not last, but it is a trial.

Tim

Attachments

KIMG0254.jpg
.JPG | 134.5KB | KIMG0254.jpg

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 9:06 pm

I commend you for trying Tim, and "emphatically" hope you pull it off. And I have no experience what-so-ever in my opinion, but that amount of coal seems a bit excessive for the grate size under it. When the ash is low on a clean stove, it performs at its best. In time, (a week or so of burning), the skirting above and to the outer edges of the grates, begin clogging, and seriously hampers the breathing of that stove. That's why the burn times fall off. Even with all the riddling you can muster, it's almost impossible to clear those upper edges where the skirting is serrated. With the large amount you have in there now, I'm thinking a lot more ash will be deposited. I can't see where you have the hopper mounted, but if it's on the top, if you lower it like you planned, you may be better off. (JMHO) Good luck
Last edited by joeq on Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Joe, I am in agreement with you, but I'd like to see the Surdiac pull through. And if I fail I have the back up hopper I can swap back in. Can't succeed or fail unless you try.

Tim

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 9:40 pm

ElCamMan515 wrote:Joe, I am in agreement with you, but I'd like to see the Surdiac pull through. And if I fail I have the back up hopper I can swap back in. Can't succeed or fail unless you try.

Tim
Is your new hopper on the top mount, or the bottom one? Before you replace it with the old one, try lowering it down to the lower tabs. (If it's on the top one now)

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”