Making Room for Surdiac Gotha 513

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Jul. 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Good afternoon all,

Last year was my first year burning coal and have a Keystoker Koker-Lite stoker furnace in the basement and with the cold NY winter we had in 2014-2015, I was on the lookout for a hand fed to help supplement the heat output of the K-lite during the months of -10*+ weather . My wife fell in love with the look of the Surdiac Gotha stoves and you know what they say....

After reading Joeq's thread Diary of a Surdiac; I thought a Surdiac would do nicely as a supplement heat source and potentially a stand alone unit during the shoulder months when needed; so the "hunt" was on. After months of asking Joe questions about his Surdiac Gotha, Joe asked if I would be interested in purchasing the stove if/when he sells it. I told him absolutely and the time has come. This weekend my wife and I will make the trip to CT to meet Joe and pick up the Surdiac. I have nearly completed the hearth where the Surdiac will be displayed and enjoyed; need to purchase tile. I want to thank Joe for the tremendous tread he has created and can't wait to enjoy the heat and view of the Surdiac.

I will post more pictures in the coming weeks when I finish the hearth pad and install the Surdiac.

Tim

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Tue. Jul. 07, 2015 8:47 am

Hooray! I'm glad Joe was able to find a home for his waffle stove. There were some real no-goodniks on here suggesting scrapping the little guy... Hope you didn't have too much trouble in the move. It's a deceptively heavy stove, I told the movers it was 450 pounds, they laughed, then they dropped it...(It's ok, just dinged up the sheet metal a little.)

You'll be very happy with how well it will throttle back in the shoulder months.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Tue. Jul. 07, 2015 10:18 am

Confed,

I can't wait to get it home and light a fire in it!

Tim

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Jul. 12, 2015 8:28 pm

All,

Today, my wife and I made the trip to CT to meet Joe and pick up the Surdiac. The weather was very nice so it made the trip even better! Wife and I took the scenic route to and from CT and enjoyed life 1 mile at a time. Joe is a great guy and is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Surdiac stove. I will be installing ceramic tile on the hearth this week and start the install of the Surdaic. I will post more pictures once the stove is installed.

Tim

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Hey Tim, Thanx for the kind words, and my wife and I were privileged to meet you and your wife. I see that Surdiac 616 being parted, and that hopper looks sweet. Too bad it's too wide for yours. We should try and keep our eyes open for a replacement for you. I also see the riddling tool in the photos, but it looks totally worn. Keep them photos coming of your hearth. Looking good so far. And make sure your curtains are "flame retardant", if you don't go with metal Venusian blinds.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Good show fellas...
Good show!

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Thu. Jul. 16, 2015 7:16 pm

new poker/slicer: get a piece of 1/2 in wide, 1/8 in steel. I made mine about with a blade 18 inches long so I wouldn't bark my knuckles on the door anymore. I used my buddies forge and anvil to fold the handle over, but I'm sure you can figure something out as well. I gilded the lily by hammering the tip into a flat shovel blade and giving it a quick quench to harden it. One season of use put a notable amount of wear on it still.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jul. 16, 2015 8:00 pm

I guess you could say they' re used in a "hazardous" environment.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Thu. Jul. 16, 2015 8:39 pm

My brother-in-law has a LP forge, I may head over to his house before heating season and try my luck at forging a new riddling tool. Stove install is on hold as this weekend is Syracuse Nationals car show in Syracuse, NY and ill be in Syracuse all weekend. I bought tile for the hearth pad and started to lay it out. I need to cut a few pieces to fit the back and sides, but it should look good when all said and done. Tile is from Lowes: Image

Hope everyone has great weekend!

Tim

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jul. 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Enjoy the car show Tim. Maybe you'll find some parts for your Elcamino. :)

brunom15
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 6
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by brunom15 » Fri. Jul. 17, 2015 10:22 am

joeq wrote:... I also see the riddling tool in the photos, but it looks totally worn...
Hi Joe, is it really that bad? Looks OK to me, and still makes it across the firebed. But then, I don't know much about these stoves.

Congrats on your new stove, Tim! PM me if you want any of the tools, and I'll throw them in a box for you. :)

Bruno

Attachments

IMG_20150717_101438.jpg
.JPG | 226.3KB | IMG_20150717_101438.jpg
IMG_20150717_101456.jpg
.JPG | 152.8KB | IMG_20150717_101456.jpg

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jul. 17, 2015 10:32 am

brunom15 wrote:
joeq wrote:... I also see the riddling tool in the photos, but it looks totally worn...
Hi Joe, is it really that bad? Looks OK to me, and still makes it across the firebed. But then, I don't know much about these stoves.

Congrats on your new stove, Tim! PM me if you want any of the tools, and I'll throw them in a box for you. :)

Bruno
Hi Bruno. If the riddling tool tip is "full" enuff, and it does go through the skirting, then yes, it should work fine. I know mine was starting to get thin and pointy at the tip, and I was questioning it's ability to clear the ash efficiently.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Jul. 20, 2015 6:34 am

Hi everyone,

Small update....

I got the tile all installed yesterday. Once it all is set and dried I will start the stove install; hope to start this on Tuesday. Stove will be the center of attention in our dining room.

Enjoy

Tim

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jul. 20, 2015 8:58 am

Good job. I like that you made it big enough for tools and coal scuttle to fit.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jul. 20, 2015 9:41 am

If you want to save yourself some time making the riddling tool, use a hacksaw frame or something similar. They are sold in all sorts of shapes, thickness, and lengths, and they are cheap. I used one the whole last season and part of the previous one. I like the bend on them for getting in the corners.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”