Surdiac Hopper Fed Coal Stove

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Hey FB, is there a Franco that has the pipe exiting out the back, like my Surdiac, or do they all have a top exit?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 5:42 pm

joeq wrote:Hey FB, is there a Franco that has the pipe exiting out the back, like my Surdiac, or do they all have a top exit?
Exit out the back, all of them. They are no larger than what you have though.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 6:18 pm

franco b wrote:
joeq wrote:Hey FB, is there a Franco that has the pipe exiting out the back, like my Surdiac, or do they all have a top exit?
Exit out the back, all of them. They are no larger than what you have though.
Thanx. Not looking for larger. Just something that will burn more than 8-9 hrs a night.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 7:20 pm

joeq wrote:
franco b wrote: Exit out the back, all of them. They are no larger than what you have though.
Thanx. Not looking for larger. Just something that will burn more than 8-9 hrs a night.
By raising the hopper to maximum height and adding some height to the front of the fire box via a steel bar 3/4 or 1 inch square the burn time can be extended by in effect making the fire pot hold more.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Already done all that FB. Hoppers as high as possible, and a full bed. As stated through all my pasts posts on this issue, my grates are clogging with ash at nite,choking it of air, which dwindles the fire. By morning it's almost out. I have been able to save it most of the time, cause the ones that are hot in the hopper I can make drop to reignite the fire. (Which will be to full burn in less than 15 mins.) It just stinks to wake up to a cold hallway in the morning.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 10:04 pm

How many pounds are you burning per day. The max would be about 50 and at that rate you would have to shake 3 times a day.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Very good FB. You're on the money with the amount I burn "Average" 50 a day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. By your recollection, 3 times a day (shaking) equates to every 8 hrs. If I don't scape my grates every 4 hrs or so, the fires starts suffocating rapidly. when I go to bed at 11-11:30 PM, and wake up at 5:30 -6AM, the ash pile is usually grey and dull, and temps down to less than 200. And that's on a good nite. with the installation of my manometer and MPD, it's gotten "only slightly" better, but I'm hoping for some more of my learning curve to continue this winter. Gracious once again for the opinions. (Out for the nite).
Last edited by joeq on Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elleninpa
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant, circa 1980

Post by elleninpa » Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 8:24 am

I wish we could but the flue that the woodburner is on is stainless steel double walled. It's also next to the one for the upstairs woodburning fireplace. And what would I do with our eight cords out back? I guess it'll have to wait a bit.

I will however go look up the Franco Belge (sp?) stoves.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”