Help Me Identify My Russo Stove

Studiiovette
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo CW2

Post by Studiiovette » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 8:13 am

Hi new to the form and to the wood/coal stove world. I would like to replace the glass viewing window on my stove and have an idea of where to look but just wanted to see if anybody knows what model stove I have. Also when I replace window will I need a new gasket? Can the glass be cleaned? It is extremely sooted up with a crispy hard layer of gunk.
The previous owner of the home mentioned that he used the stove a handful of times to burn coal only do to the lack of height on the chimney . Is that an accurate statement ?

I will post a close up of the stove also.

Thanks

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 68.5KB | image.jpg
image_1.jpg
.JPG | 41.4KB | image_1.jpg
20131208_143242.jpg
.JPG | 221.8KB | 20131208_143242.jpg
Last edited by Studiiovette on Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 8:57 am

Wow that's a gorgeous room! I can't help you with the model but, if you are interested in using coal many here can guide you along the path to success. There are things that can be done to improve drafting for coal burning. As far as the chimney is concerned, we would need pictures and more description of it, how high it is, what its made of, is it above the roof peak, ect...

Welcome to the forum!
Lotsa nice people here willing to help.

bopper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by bopper » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 9:10 am

Check the rear of the stove for a plate which will likely tell you the type of stove and approved fuels to be burned in it. I have seen this stove before and believe it is a coal/wood combo stove. The one I saw had a blower in the back and two rectangle openings on the top where the air from the blower came out.

It looks like a shaker handle on the left side. Does it move the grates? If it does then it is probably suited to burn coal. Fire brick lined?

I had a Russo Wood Stove for a few years. It was a creosote factory (I cringe just thinking about it). Bought a used hand fired coal stove and never looked back. My coal stove works so well I sold my oil tank, scraped my ancient over-sized oil boiler, and heated my house this entire winter on 2 tons ($280 ton for a total of $560).

Do your research on this site. It is invaluable!

Bopper

Studiiovette

Post by Studiiovette » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 9:24 am

Lightning wrote:Wow that's a gorgeous room! I can't help you with the model but, if you are interested in using coal many here can guide you along the path to success. There are things that can be done to improve drafting for coal burning. As far as the chimney is concerned, we would need pictures and more description of it, how high it is, what its made of, is it above the roof peak, ect...

Welcome to the forum!
Lotsa nice people here willing to help.
Thank you! I will be up this weekend and take more pictures. The pic I posted is from the actual real estate listing a couple months back. I have a couple more I will upload soon.

Studiiovette

Post by Studiiovette » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 9:27 am

bopper wrote:Check the rear of the stove for a plate which will likely tell you the type of stove and approved fuels to be burned in it. I have seen this stove before and believe it is a coal/wood combo stove. The one I saw had a blower in the back and two rectangle openings on the top where the air from the blower came out.

It looks like a shaker handle on the left side. Does it move the grates? If it does then it is probably suited to burn coal. Fire brick lined?

I had a Russo Wood Stove for a few years. It was a creosote factory (I cringe just thinking about it). Bought a used hand fired coal stove and never looked back. My coal stove works so well I sold my oil tank, scraped my ancient over-sized oil boiler, and heated my house this entire winter on 2 tons ($280 ton for a total of $560).

Do your research on this site. It is invaluable!

Bopper
Yes to all your questions. It's definitely coal burning that I know. Shaker on left, vents in front, brick lined, and blower in back which does a phenomenal job at heating my entire 1000 sqft cabin with 20 ft ceiling with wood or wood brick fuel. Thanks I will check the plate in the back this weekend when I am there.
Last edited by Studiiovette on Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studiiovette

Post by Studiiovette » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 9:47 am

Just posted some new pics

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:07 am

Very nice cabin! I think, however, that chimney set up is inadequate for coal and may be way too short to be code. I think your draft will be inadequate and the clearance to the roof needs to be significantly increased.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:18 am

Welcome.

Using the width of the front door for scale (roughly 3 feet wide). The chimney is way too short for coal, or to meet code. Looks like it's only about 4 feet tall above the edge of the roof and 4 feet horizontally from the cap to the nearest point of the roof.

It should be 2 or 3 feet of pipe above a point where the pipe is 10 feet from the roof. That's about three more sections of pipe needed.

Paul

Studiiovette

Post by Studiiovette » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:33 am

My home inspector said the same thing. Would that explain why I'm having issues keeping even good wood burning steadily. It's a constant battle.
What can I expect to pay for that? Anybody have any recommendations in the Pocono PA area.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:40 am

wow beautiful cabin welcome to coal. post ur location on ur profile nobody will steal ur stove lol me thinks that wood was burned in that stove if it is /glass/ black and gunky get a razor blade scraper and work on the glass thats what I do when I burn wood in my hitzer..yea chim is too low...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 10:52 am

Find out the make of pipe used and price on internet for another 9 feet or so plus a roof brace. Yes, it is most definitely the problem.

Studiiovette

Post by Studiiovette » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 11:01 am

buffalo bob wrote:wow beautiful cabin welcome to coal. post ur location on ur profile nobody will steal ur stove lol me thinks that wood was burned in that stove if it is /glass/ black and gunky get a razor blade scraper and work on the glass thats what I do when I burn wood in my hitzer..yea chim is too low...
LOL!! They better not.
Profile updated. Should have known better since I'm on a bunch of other forums.
Thanks for the nice comments and help everyone

xaos
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker 1
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by xaos » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 11:37 am

Here is a copy of my manual from my old Russo C/W 1 stove.
Russo Manual.rar

Russo W/C 1 Manual

.RAR | 28.3MB | Russo Manual.rar

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 11:46 am

Studiiovette wrote:My home inspector said the same thing. Would that explain why I'm having issues keeping even good wood burning steadily. It's a constant battle.
What can I expect to pay for that? Anybody have any recommendations in the Pocono PA area.
Yup, taller is better - both for wood and especially for coal. And a tall chimney will reduce chances of back drafting when it gets windy.

Paul

mdrelyea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice/Nut

Post by mdrelyea » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I posted some literature and an install guide from my old Russo a while back. It may prove helpful
Installation Guides

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”