Had to Go Back on Oil

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Poor kitty!

Hope you feel better soon.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 2:04 pm

not the dreaded oil monster......NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

We need a coal intervention in Girardville!!!!

Hope you feel better soon, Rev.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Sorry to hear your not felling well Rev. Larry. If I could, I would send some Yellow Flame heat yor way.
YFfirstFire 006.JPG

HEAT

.JPG | 107.4KB | YFfirstFire 006.JPG
YFnewBlower 008.JPG

HEAT

.JPG | 107.6KB | YFnewBlower 008.JPG
$300AlaskaStoker2 009.JPG

Kitty

.JPG | 79KB | $300AlaskaStoker2 009.JPG
My cat does the same thing. She has known nothing but coal and wood heat all her life and she can get quite loud when the fire goes out!

Get well soon,

Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 6:23 pm

From Stoker Don's last pic,it looks like the "Yellow Flame Kitty" is on his way to lend a hand! Sorry both You and The Stove have been down. You are a wee bit of a reach from Ohio. Both Yourself and BeemerBoy have given us yet another insight to what can go wrong to separate You from Your Coal Heat. The both of you have had me thinking about it. Self Sufficiency can become a Stinker at times like this. Fortunately,I'll get this dilemma worked out if possible to meet a threat that may incapacitate me for a while. Fluid Up,Get the Rest as You can and Keep those Lungs Clear. :fear:

vermontday
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by vermontday » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Sorry to hear your down and out.

Our cat sleeps on top of our EFM. It is like the heart of our house, so I can appreciate your temporary loss without a coal fire.

I do wish our cat didn't sleep there. It is ruining the nice wax job that my wife made fun of me for putting on last year.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 9:17 am

Sorry to hear you are under the weather, get well quickly and whatever you do, do not share it with your wife. When a coal fire goes out it is the same thing as a hot sweaty August afternoon ,opening the frig and finding an empty ice tea jug. Missing the things we depend upon is never easy. Hope you are complaining about the ashes by the time you read this. Mike

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 9:48 am

vermontday wrote:Sorry to hear your down and out.

Our cat sleeps on top of our EFM. It is like the heart of our house, so I can appreciate your temporary loss without a coal fire.

I do wish our cat didn't sleep there. It is ruining the nice wax job that my wife made fun of me for putting on last year.
Obviously you have the jacket on the EFM. :D

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 10:12 am

Hambden Bob wrote:From Stoker Don's last pic,it looks like the "Yellow Flame Kitty" is on his way to lend a hand! Sorry both You and The Stove have been down. You are a wee bit of a reach from Ohio. Both Yourself and BeemerBoy have given us yet another insight to what can go wrong to separate You from Your Coal Heat. The both of you have had me thinking about it. Self Sufficiency can become a Stinker at times like this. Fortunately,I'll get this dilemma worked out if possible to meet a threat that may incapacitate me for a while. Fluid Up,Get the Rest as You can and Keep those Lungs Clear. :fear:
Wow!!!! 3 1/2 days without the coal stove running and I could feel every draft and temperature difference in every room in the house. The coal stove puts off continuous heat rather than the pulsating heat supplied by a thermostat. The stove has been running only 30 minutes and I can feel a difference already. It's a bone penetrating constant overall heat that can't be matched by anything else.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and the wonderful thoughts. I am out of bed again and was feeling frisky enough to take the ash pan to the basement and CAREFULLY shovel it's contents into a 5 gallon bucket..... much to my wife's protests. I put a starter bag in the stove, raked some coal over it and fired it off again. My wife called our son and he is going to come over and shovel us out and bring in the four buckets of coal I have in the Subaru. That will last us until Monday which is my normal coal day and I will be up and around again by then.

Knowing that my wife has fragile health and we are both in our early 60's and not getting younger, I have two backup heating systems neither of which is dependent on electricity. One is the coal/wood/anything that will fit in it hot water heater in the basement piped through the oil boiler and the second is our propane kitchen stove.

If you are going to depend on any type of system that requires physical hands on to run it then you better make sure you have a backup system that you can fire up when your down. It's not a matter of if...,.. its a matter of when. And don't just put it in and expect it to work. Test it out while you well and moving around. When your down and seeing double even with your new glasses on like I was doing is not the time to be fussing with something you didn't fully check out when you could.

We had our oil boiler and when I realized I was about to go down with the flu all I had to do was switch the flue pipe from the hot water heater to the oil boiler. I have one pipe going to the chimney that I simply swivel the 90 elbow from the hot water heater to the boiler depending on what I want to run. I test the boiler once a month just to make sure it works. When I needed it everything was ready and everything worked according to plan.

Thanks again to everyone for your well wishes and thoughts. Good to know that there is another family that I haven't met yet out there.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Glad your up & about Padre:)

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Glad you feel better and have your stove going again. Stay warm. Matt

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Rev,with all due Respect,You're A Wildman! Not to baby 'Ya,but try to not overdo it! Get it all accomplished in bites. The Flu is Tough this year. Keep us in mind when you're on the Soul Hotline with The Old Man Upstairs. :up:

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”