Godin Octagon 3733

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 6:21 pm

To fix it you first have to determine where the binding is. I think the grate rotates on a central tapered pin going into a tapered hole. A taper can bind very easily. With a cold stove lift out the grate partially and see if the binding disappears. If so inspect the hole it fits into and the taper for anything that could bind it. A bent actuating rod could also cause binding.

vmi1983
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by vmi1983 » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks Franco! The rod is straight. I'll check for the binding in the pivot. Also, could the rod be connected improperly to the grate? I am not sure the exactly how the rod should connect to the grate.

Matt

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 11:25 pm

vmi1983 wrote:Thanks Franco! The rod is straight. I'll check for the binding in the pivot. Also, could the rod be connected improperly to the grate? I am not sure the exactly how the rod should connect to the grate.

Matt
Doesn't the rod have a little S type of bend on the end? I think the main body of the rod goes below the grate but memory could be flawed.

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 1:18 am

franco b wrote:
vmi1983 wrote:Thanks Franco! The rod is straight. I'll check for the binding in the pivot. Also, could the rod be connected improperly to the grate? I am not sure the exactly how the rod should connect to the grate.

Matt
Doesn't the rod have a little S type of bend on the end? I think the main body of the rod goes below the grate but memory could be flawed.
Yes, I will have to look at at a later date, La Belle is kicking the heat, thanks!

Matt

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 9:33 am

The temps dropped to 23F last night. With the Large Round heating the larger back half of the house, La Belle heated the mid size dinning room , living room hallway/stairs.

The house temps was very comfortable 70-to 60 degree range depending.... this week there will be a few very cold 0 degree like days.

This morning, the smaller Godin required a few short stroke shakes, not many as the some red coals dropped into the ash pan.

Matt

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 10:49 am

Just to let you know your stove, La Belle Époque, is still manufactured by Godin in France. It comes in 2 sizes, 5kw & 10kw. Information can be found here:

http://www.godin.fr/autres-energies/les-poeles-bo ... lle-epoque

KaptJaq

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Kapt for the info.

The Godin is burning well.... generally the temps on the barrel near the burn are 600-625F. The Belle Epoque ( small round) is burning fairly well. But it will take more time to understand exactly how to get this stove to burn more efficiently. Specifically, I noticed pieces of unspent coal lodged in the grate. Most of these pieces are pea size.

I am keeping the MPD closed, so perhaps if I open it 45 degrees or so, and reduce the air intake a bit, maybe that will help get a complete burn?

I am trying to shake down twice a day and do one major cleaning. I hate to drop the fire gate, but right now I don't see any other option.

The Large Round burns extremely well, and the coal ash shakes easy and is a breeze to maintain...

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Tue. Dec. 17, 2013 11:43 am

-9 F on the partially enclosed rear side porch, last night was very cold. I have no amazing story, the Octagon threw 650F . I removed the tiles a few days back,
and reversed the two side panels which induced convection. The little stove worked as it should. But at -9F, and a 1850 house, it was rather cold in the far rooms, 50 F.

So far, the house stays comfortable at 0 F and above and is very comfortable at 10 F plus.....

My friend gave me some nice stove-sized coal. I load the fire pot with some stove, and line the circumference with nut. This seems to burn very well in this weather at a stack temp of 200 F, up 16" from the top flue. I've noticed shake down has been easier. The ash is a super fine gray/white powder.

I use a thin metal hook tool to draw forward some rear ash, and to break down some of the smaller spent coal clumps. Running the stove hotter seems to make shake down less stressful. I don't feel compelled to lower the fire gate, as I call rake and crush the ash much easier.

I am just getting acquainted with this stove, so it will take many more days to unlock the mystery as to how to best operate this unit.

The Large Round ran like a champ. It is an extremely consistent unit. Shake down is a breeze, ash dumps are easy, I can run that stove blindfolded.

BTW, with both Godins, I have 5" pipe connected to 6" outside chimney.

Imperial brand stove pipe manufacturer offers 24 gauge 4" black stove with 4 to 6 " increaser, MPD, etc. I wonder if the Octagon will run more efficiently, somehow,
with the 4" stove pipe? The rear flue is 4" , and switching out might be an option.

If someone out there could explain to me the benefit of using 4" with the small Godin, I would appreciate that.

Matt

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Tue. Dec. 17, 2013 2:20 pm

I think the smaller pipe would have higher stack temp. and you would lose the extra radiant surface of the bigger pipe. That little stove only has so much surface area.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Dec. 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Yes by all means feel free to post some pictures! :P Excellent news would love to see them both fired up when you get a chance. I am curious about the 4" pipe on the french stoves and wonder if that is a result of the different fuels they burn, I have heard many different fuels such as peat, and bio briquettes, and various charcoals etc. or possibly a way to choke down the fire based on the smaller fire box. History is a great teacher and now that you are burning anthracite the larger flue pipe may be needed, but if you have the extra cash and want to go to original equipment (so to speak), give it a shot and note the various responses and go in the best direction based on your findings! And then again in place of the tiles some diamond plate with lightning bolts welded to it can give I a nice comfy feeling :o :lol:

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”