Godin Large Round Fired UP!!

vmi1983
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by vmi1983 » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 12:31 am

COLD WEATHER....

1 F with expected low of -9 by wake-up..... a high of 4F with a low of -11F for tomorrow... The Godin is belting out 750F, very nice indeed.... house is warm enough with two
stoves.....

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Here's a question...

Has anybody burned Stove Coal in their Godin's????

I use a mix of Stove and Nut in the Vigilant .

I suspect Stove/Nut may provide a longer burn on sub-zero nights.... but I am till learning the way of the Godin, and I can't risk an over-fire....

glargent

Post by glargent » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm thankful for this forum! I bought a house a few months ago and found a Godin 3727 in the upstairs bedroom. I started it for the first time last week using pea coal. I have never used a coal stove before but I'm hooked now!! (I'm from Oklahoma, just moved to PA) The green paint in the picture began to wipe away as the stove was heated. Underneath was a beautiful blueish/green porcelain (I think it's porcelain). Anyway, thanks for the forum - I'll be visiting and learning from you all often.

Attachments

DSC_0139.JPG
.JPG | 93.4KB | DSC_0139.JPG

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 4:11 pm

glargent wrote:I'm thankful for this forum! I bought a house a few months ago and found a Godin 3727 in the upstairs bedroom. I started it for the first time last week using pea coal. I have never used a coal stove before but I'm hooked now!! (I'm from Oklahoma, just moved to PA) The green paint in the picture began to wipe away as the stove was heated. Underneath was a beautiful blueish/green porcelain (I think it's porcelain). Anyway, thanks for the forum - I'll be visiting and learning from you all often.
Good luck with that Godin... Chiefcamper posted videos on You Tube.... regarding his method of tending a Grand Oval Godin... Thanks

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 8:26 pm

GOOD STUFF GUYS!!!!!!! :D

VMI, sounds like you're learning your stove quickly, good for you!!!!

When you say you are raking ash from the back, you mean in the firepot, not where the pan lies???

Just a sidenote, Last year was my first year w/ the Godin or any coal/wood stove. I was able to keep it running for 39 days straight up to spring, this is leaving it un-attended for 12 hours a day. I had to add charcoal once, when I didn't load it in the morning there was almost nothing left. I'm sure it's business as usual to run one all season without having to re-light it.

Another thought, perhaps the round burns a bit better due to its' symetrical design as opposed to the deep sides of an oval?????

Joe

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 8:47 pm

vmi1983 wrote:Here's a question...

Has anybody burned Stove Coal in their Godin's????

I use a mix of Stove and Nut in the Vigilant .

I suspect Stove/Nut may provide a longer burn on sub-zero nights.... but I am till learning the way of the Godin, and I can't risk an over-fire....
Judging from my experience, the stove would burn hotter and possibly faster w/ the stove size, as the pea basically just choked my stove off to where it threw very little heat, so the stove size coal would prolly be more responsive than nut.

I keep saying I'm gonna try stove coal, but haven't taken the time to drive an extra 25 minutes each way to get some. I can get nut size anytime in town about 3 miles from my house.
glargent wrote:I'm thankful for this forum! I bought a house a few months ago and found a Godin 3727 in the upstairs bedroom. I started it for the first time last week using pea coal. I have never used a coal stove before but I'm hooked now!! (I'm from Oklahoma, just moved to PA) The green paint in the picture began to wipe away as the stove was heated. Underneath was a beautiful blueish/green porcelain (I think it's porcelain). Anyway, thanks for the forum - I'll be visiting and learning from you all often.
I second that regarding this forum, Welcome to Pa!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the height that looks like a small oval??????? Kinda funny about the paint, looks like someone got a little 'ARTSY' LOL but to each their own. You were most likely happy it burned off once you saw what was underneath :) Yea the factory color you describe is a beautiful one. I have the brown trim. All the colors they put out are nice in their own way, if I had my choice I prolly woulda gone with no ceramic, It is my favorite, not to mention around 400 bucks less LOL

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Chiefcamper wrote:GOOD STUFF GUYS!!!!!!! :D

VMI, sounds like you're learning your stove quickly, good for you!!!!

When you say you are raking ash from the back, you mean in the firepot, not where the pan lies???

Just a sidenote, Last year was my first year w/ the Godin or any coal/wood stove. I was able to keep it running for 39 days straight up to spring, this is leaving it un-attended for 12 hours a day. I had to add charcoal once, when I didn't load it in the morning there was almost nothing left. I'm sure it's business as usual to run one all season without having to re-light it.

Another thought, perhaps the round burns a bit better due to its' symetrical design as opposed to the deep sides of an oval?????

Joe

Hey Joe,

I am pulling/raking the burnt ash towards the fire door and onto the grate. I am leaving the front grill in place. I am trying to do so without collapsing the bottom of the ash bridge. The chimney draft is powerful, the coals can turn white in a matter of minutes( with the damper open, so I keep it shut), hence it is necessary to to work quickly.

I read your posts, Joe, and tip my hat to you, good job on keeping the stove going.

Matt

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Seems to be a pretty big Godin group this year. Congrats on the new home and the new to you stove. Have you found the ash tray for your stove yet? (see image below) I looks like the stove pipe was painted also, did it burn off or did they use stove paint? I would guess that stove would make the bedroom a little warm?

Your stove appears to be in great shape. It should give you many years of dependable heat...

KaptJaq
oval.gif

Godin small oval

.GIF | 32.6KB | oval.gif

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Fri. Jan. 25, 2013 7:32 am

It was -18 F last night... certainly, the coldest night of this season. Wind and low temps, I could hear a tree here and there creaking and cracking.
Inside the Godin belted out 700F(w/MPD closed) until this morning, where she fell to 600F... 'just threw on a scoop of 5lbs of nut....

BTW...here's a very short item on the evoution of the artic outbreak... basically a large segment of artic air, broke free and moved south into northern Quebec..
the outbreak of 2013 is not as severe as say 1983... yet it's expected to create very cold temps well into February....

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/evolut ... ea/4721288

glargent

Post by glargent » Sat. Jan. 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Seems to be a pretty big Godin group this year. Congrats on the new home and the new to you stove. Have you found the ash tray for your stove yet? (see image below) I looks like the stove pipe was painted also, did it burn off or did they use stove paint? I would guess that stove would make the bedroom a little warm?
kaptjaq: I didn't find an ash tray, but I did wonder if something was missing at the bottom! I'll look around some more. I'm not sure if the stove pipe was painted. What's the stove pipe again? :) A friend helped me move the stove downstairs to the patio room where it's more useful. Thanks for the help!
I second that regarding this forum, Welcome to Pa!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the height that looks like a small oval??????? Kinda funny about the paint, looks like someone got a little 'ARTSY' LOL but to each their own. You were most likely happy it burned off once you saw what was underneath :) Yea the factory color you describe is a beautiful one. I have the brown trim. All the colors they put out are nice in their own way, if I had my choice I prolly woulda gone with no ceramic, It is my favorite, not to mention around 400 bucks less LOL
Chiefcamper: I hated the John Deere green and so did my wife, but we both love the blue. Do you know how old these godins are? We love PA - it's been a great move for our family. I'm not sure if it's a small oval or not! I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for all the helpful posts Chiefcamper, vmi1983, and kaptjaq!

Chiefcamper

Post by Chiefcamper » Sat. Jan. 26, 2013 10:57 pm

glargent wrote: Chiefcamper: I hated the John Deere green and so did my wife, but we both love the blue. Do you know how old these godins are? We love PA - it's been a great move for our family. I'm not sure if it's a small oval or not! I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for all the helpful posts Chiefcamper, vmi1983, and kaptjaq!
Good deal moving it to another area of the house, it's gonna throw some heat. It looks like the petit small oval. You can tell the difference of the 2 sizes by the height. On the smalls the badge is noticeably closer to the enamel on the doortrim and top lid. Also the ovals have more steelwork on the window. It's really a good looking stove.

Ha!!! yea the green was kinda comical in a way :) Hate to put him on the spot but Jaq would prolly be the one to help on the age of your stove. He has more history. After talking to him about mine we figured it was early nineties (? )or so and refurbed before I bought it last January. Had no idea what I was getting into, but from the limited research I did on the Godin Petit, I figured 300 bucks was a low risk. After running it a full season I can say I feel lucky to have it. One of my buddies was more ambitious about me getting a stove than I was. We were both looking on our own when he came across this one. Went on a road trip with him as the designated driver and one more bud. Took it home on a wintry night in an old VW bus. Good Times!!!!!

Anyway I digressed :oops:

So you gotta put your locale on your profile, at least a county or something, (if you're comfortable w that) :) You might be neighbors w someone on here LOL.

Yeah there are some really great areas in Pa, depending on what you're into. I'm in the Scranton Wilkes Barre area. The outlying areas have good rural spots. I think it's great you're happy with your move here.

Joe

KaptJaq

Post by KaptJaq » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:18 am

glargent wrote: Do you know how old these godins are? We love PA - it's been a great move for our family. I'm not sure if it's a small oval or not! I'll have to do some more research.
It is a small oval, probably from the mid eighties. It does not look like it was ever burned hard. There should be a stainless steel plate on the back of the cylinder just above the bottom cast ring. This should give the information to determine the exact model and an approximate manufacture date.

The small ovals have been in production forever and are still manufactured today. You have the dual outlet manifold on yours so it was probably a European domestic version, that was an option for the export stoves. Drolet, a Canadian company, imported the "export version" Godins from the eighties through the nineties. There are slight differences between the two versions. The North American models usually had a testing lab indicated on the manufacture plate.

It was a good idea to move it out of the bedroom. First, in a lot of areas it is not legal to have a solid fuel heater in a bedroom and second, I would find it too hot to sleep with that stove in the bedroom.

The Godin web site has information on the ovals and rounds (http://www.godin.fr). ( If the site is down it is probably maintenance schedule and time differences...) When it comes back up later I will post a link to your stove...

You might want to start a new thread specific to your stove...

KaptJaq

KaptJaq

Post by KaptJaq » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Link to the Godin sales page for the small oval:

http://www.godin.fr/autres-energies/les-poeles-bo ... etit-godin

Link to the Godin manual for the small oval:

http://www.godin.fr/notices-siteweb/3726_petit-go ... 38B-05.pdf

Sorry but it is all in Fench. You can use one of the on-line translators to read it. I have the Drolet version of the Godin manual in English. If you would like it PM me an e-mail address.

KaptJaq

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Update.... the Godin has been running non-stop since first match.

The grate system really had me perplex, but using nut coal only, an elevated bridge of burnt cakey ash is formed , strong enough to support the coal bed and generally it is just about level with the top of the fire door. Below the bridge level, sooner or later some ash will accumilate. Thanks to chiefcamper, and others who have posted, I was able to develop a sensible method of removing the ash wwithout
lowering the front grill.

Generally, about every 24 hours, it's time to insert the "J" hook tool and turn it horizontal and pull the ash front to rear, and as the ash builds up over the grate I rotate the hook left to right and vise versa crushing the ash by appling force. A lot of this ash falls thru the round grate. Sometimes, I will close the fire door and shake down the remaing ash. I continue scraping and pulling until all the ash to the rear is cleared. This will ensure the far side of the fire pot will not get ash-bound,
and guarantee the fire will continue at a consistent burn rate. I leave a 1-2" layer of ash on the grate for protection.

Once the lower ash is cleared, it is time to rotate the hook end verically
and, starting from the rear of the bridge, rake ash from ceiling until I see some red glow. I move forward to the sides and then the the front.

Should I leave the bridge or poke thru and let it collapse?

Of course I need to empty the ashes and I do so before the procedure.

I have notice with my chimney system, I have to be careful to restrict the draft while performing maintanence... the MPD needs to be
closed and I limit clean outs to say 4 miutes max. I have not had an over-fired stove condition but I need to be very careful. Lastly
I drop in 15lbs of coal, depending.

I think I am burning about 30 lbs of coal per day on days were the temps are in the 30s + .. On the frigid sub-zero days, more like 45+
whic means I recharge the stove at mid-day.

The stove puts out heat. With the IR gun, I am measuring 750 and the hottest point, but generally I'd say 710 arounf the burning coal.
The exit flue runs at 350, above the MPD, about 225 and near the elbow, under 200. This is with the air-inlet at 3/4 open.

I can idle down the stove by 1/2 to 1/3 by restricing primary air. Thius coming week, it will warm up, I read as high as 40F, so we'll see
how the Godin reacts to warmer temps.

Overall, the Godin is not as tempermental as I had imagined... in fact it is very reliable, very consistent, easy to maintain unit. If I had a smaller home, I would use it as my primary heater.

Any comments or questions will be greatly appreciated.

vmi1983

Post by vmi1983 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 12:08 am

It's warming up through out the week... this afternoon I laid in some nut/pea range... the Godin can handle it.. the fire has slowed somewhat... I'm not so sure, I really feel pure nut is the way to go... we'll see how fire looks at wake up....

Does anyone burn nut/pea or pea only in their Godin's??

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”