Jotul , Can't Keep It Lit for More Than 4 Hours

scott611
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 508

Post by scott611 » Sat. Jan. 12, 2013 7:49 pm

If I can figure out how to post a picture of my chimney set up I would. I have a 5" single wall flu pipe with the baro damper centered 18" from the back of the stove, the pipe runs almost horizontal (tilted slightly up from stove to chimney) with an 90 degree elbow and 5" exhaust flex pipe to the top of the masonry chimney. And yes I used diesel exhaust flex pipe because it is a lot cheaper than "real" chimney liner and I figured diesel exhaust regularly runs in the 700 to 900 degree range with spikes to 1200 which a chimney should never see anyway.

scott611
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 508

Post by scott611 » Sat. Jan. 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I forgot to add, I had heard Blaschak coal was good and I was considering using it but I just couldn't resist 2 tons delivered for $480 or there abouts.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Wow! sounds like a super deal.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 5:18 am

PoconoPassaro wrote:Last night was the very first time since fall of 2011 it burned all night!
Woke up and was dying out so on way out to work, I knifed it and refilled the hopper. Came home at lunchtime to a tepid stove with no red coals! Maybe I didn't knock all of the ash down when I emptied the pan, it (the ash) was very fine and no coal in the pan. I am sure the warmer day we had here in northeast PA had something to do with it dying today. I am going to scoop all of the coal from the hopper tomorrow and relight it unless there is another way to refire the thing without scooping it and starting fresh as that is a job in itself.
I cant add alot to what everyone has said here, Could you post some pics of the stove when you can? (chances are its one of those big square box type Jotul's they "claim" is a Coal Stove).

I will say that this one time you succeed as quoted above gives some good "hope" ;) next time when you "knife it" in the morning leave the bottom open for a few minutes and then add a little coal and wait for that new coal to get rolling BEFORE you add any significant amount of coal OR close it up/turn it down. Hopefully with practice you will be able to regularly "catch" it in the morning as your making your coffee ;)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 10:28 am

The "catch it" phrase you speak of Mr. Crane is a good way to define my morning ritual with my Surdiac.Many times after approx. 6 hrs of "non-tending", my coal bed will appear to be dead, with nothing to show but a pile of grey ash ,a splash of solid klinkers, and a heat exchanger temperature of less than 200*. But as I poke and stoke the ash pile to clear the grates, a few bright red glowing embers will drop out of the hopper, along with some fresh coal, and once given the chance of exposure to new and fresh air, will begin to re-ignite to a full glowing coal bed in approx. 15 mins. or so.

PoconoPassaro
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90/105
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul 466
Coal Size/Type: pea/rice

Post by PoconoPassaro » Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 6:43 pm

It is still going!
I have the back damper open about an eighth inch, filled with coal and knifed it for the first time since early afternoon startup. The whole bed is nice and red and see red glow on the ashpan. The ashes are nice and light with no clinkers. I will attempt to turn up another 1/8 inch tomorrow night for some more heat when the temp is supposed to drop again.
Thanks for all your help...I'll keep you posted!

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”