Petit Godin 3721 - Ok to Open When Burning?

kmac4

Post by kmac4 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 5:14 pm

OK - I'm new to the forum. I have rented a place with a Petit Godin coal stove 3721. The landlord said he didn't know how to use it but that the previous tenant had good luck with it. I have experience with wood stoves, but not coal, so I'm stoked (if you will pardon the expression) to try it out. Now my big question - I've never used a top loading stove of any kind before - only ones with doors in the front. Seem's to me if I open the thing up to load coal its gonna smoke out my entire place - not to mention the ash that will go everywhere. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I presume it either is not a problem, or that is just one of the quirks of this stove that I will have to live with. Looking for some insight on this. If it makes a real mess I can just hear the wife now.....please advise.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 5:29 pm

My stove is a top loader it does smoke a little if the flue is cold, or Iv just loaded it and reopen , or I open it too fast.

Note I am burning bituminous coal (makes lots of black smoke), I have a 6 inch flue pipe(8 would be better for bit), and my whole chimney is 11'(should be 16'). All of these are a recipe for a bad smoker, but if I am carefull I have little smoke.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi kmac4 and welcome to the forum.
If you have a good chimney's draft you will have no problem when opening the top door.
Always open the air control completly to get the best draft and always open the top door slowly.
If you can, see the vid. I made from my Vigilant ll top loading then you can't see any smoke, dust, monsters :D , if it was the case I wouldn't get 2 other top load stoves.
Some photos of your installation, stove, chimney's details can also help us to help you :!:

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 7:38 pm

nortcan wrote:Some photos of your installation, stove, chimney's details can also help us to help you :!:
Be sure to include your CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS in the photos!
Just kidding, we already know what CO detectors look like. Make sure you have one or more! :!:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 12:22 pm

rberq wrote:
nortcan wrote:Some photos of your installation, stove, chimney's details can also help us to help you :!:
Be sure to include your CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS in the photos!
Just kidding, we already know what CO detectors look like. Make sure you have one or more! :!:
:lol: :D just 5 in all. 3 (one on each level) are connected to the basement blower and if Co gets in the house, the blower will buzz and stop the blower from pulling air out of the faux-foyer.
OOPS, sorry I already told that history so many times!

kmac4

Post by kmac4 » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Regarding CO....I have this stove in a small one room studio apartment. I'll be sleeping 15' or so away from it. Is this a bad Idea having a coal stove in such tight quarters. Of course I'll have a CO detector, but I'm beginning to think that maybe this is a bit too dangerous. Any thoughts?

Stngllhm

Post by Stngllhm » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 2:17 pm

I wouldn't worry about it just make sure you have a good working co detector I just found out they go bad after I believe it's 7 years and a working smoke detector.

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Thu. Oct. 25, 2012 11:14 pm

I have a 3721 and have had no problem with "smoke" coming in when I open the loading door. As mentioned above, as long as you have a good draft the air will be sucked into the stove via the open loading door. The CO detector is a good idea especially if you are burning hard coal. Hard coal makes little visible "smoke" but does, like all fuels, produce carbon monoxide.

The biggest problem you might have is not getting your studio too hot. The Godin throws off a good amount of heat. I can heat my entire house with it when I have it cranking. Once you get used to it you should be able to get long, low, even burns to keep you comfortable.

KaptJaq

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”