WESO Stove Resources?

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 4:18 pm

I am trying to revive my father's old WESO stove. I am a bit confused with the documentation. It says NOT to use anthracite, coke, or cannel coal. Soft coal, charcoal, lignite, brown or chestnut coal are OK. It also says coal bricks are OK too.

But the stove came with a letter from a UL testing lab which states "...that Ceramic Radiant Heat of Lochmere, New Hampshire have had their stove successfully tested by the Arnold Greene Testing Laboratories, to UL-1482." and that "Kingsford charcoal and stove grade anthracite and bituminous coal were used."

I think we only tried to burn coal in it once or twice, weren't successful and gave up. Plus, we had plenty of access to free(not including labor :)) wood so it was never an issue.

I called the place in New Hampshire a while back and the woman I talked to was a little "iffy" on coal burning. She talked about early and late model stoves, said mine was an early model and not really designed for coal. I think the thing is ideal for coal burning but I'd rather not find out I'm wrong.

Anyone have any help?

Thanks
Jeff

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Jeff, does the stove have an internal cast iron 'basket' within the main shell of the body? Does it have a butterfly air opening below the load door? Shaker handle and thermostat setting knob at the right rear? A little hatch at the top center of the firebox that slides up and out so you can access the smoke pipe outlet for cleaning?

If so, that's the same stove we had 25 years ago that we installed in a house we built around 1980, and I was in middle school. It was a beautifully made stove. We burned wood most of the time, and burned a little bituminous in it, which did pretty well, but I don't recall reading anything prohibiting use of anthracite. To the contrary, I recall a statement that the butterfly air opening (secondary air) was to be kept closed when burning anthracite. Thankfully ours was a nice brown color, I saw the advertising literature my parents had picked up and it had all those 'famous' 70's/80's colors (Olive, Harvest, etc.)

The lack of firebrick isn't an issue, as the burn basket is surrounded by airspace, and this keeps it cool. The shaker grate was a nice design that 'wagged' back and forth, but wouldn't grind up clinkers or anything like that. Those had to be removed from the top door.

Make sure the thermostat works properly and is free to open and close. It worked quite well, but might need some cleaning and lubrication after all these years. Otherwise, it might need to be disassembled and resealed, generally cleaned, new gaskets installed, etc. Make sure you have good draft, use a barometric draft control, set it for .05 to .06, and start a good hot wood fire. Let it burn down to coals and start adding a few inches of pea or nut coal. See if you can get a little of each size to try. Let the first layer catch and then build up the fire a few inches at a time. You can fill it all the way to the bottom of the 'teeth' on the top opening.

Can you post some pictures of the stove? I really have fond memories of ours.

jpete

Post by jpete » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 5:35 pm

That's the one. The manual says that anthracite burns too hot and can melt the shaker grate. I've never heard of those other types of coal.

Here's a link to one I found online. Same color as mine.
<dead link removed>

I sent an e-mail to the importer. Hoping I can get this figured out. I guess I should just go ahead and tear it apart. I'm like a kid at Christmas with this thing. I really want to see it run. :D

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Anthracite won't melt the shaker grate as long as you keep a decent bed of ash on it (don't "overshake"), and also keep the ash pan empty (so the ash stays away from the underside of the grate).

Yup, that stove is almost the same color as ours was. I think ours was a little lighter, but pictures and 25 year old memories aren't always accurate!

Good luck with it! I'm sure it will be just fine running anthracite, just don't get too carried away with the burn rate (or forget the ash door open or something). They are a beautifully made stove.

Sky Chief

Post by Sky Chief » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 10:20 am

I have the same stove and the same color and have been burning coal in it for two or more seasons non-stop.

This is the first I've heard about any of these restrictions - so I never followed them. Our stove is fine with that type of coal and we burn it on about 2-3 regularly with the secondary damper about 1/3rd open.

You can tell when the stove is hot - especially if you leave the bottom door open - a BIG don't do it. Just keep it regular and no problems.

We typically burn wood during the day and put coal in overnight or burn coal all day if company is here. The coal burn MUCH longer than wood in the small firebox.

jpete

Post by jpete » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Sky Chief wrote:You can tell when the stove is hot - especially if you leave the bottom door open - a BIG don't do it. Just keep it regular and no problems.
How do you run it with the bottom door open? Mine has a bar which runs down from the top door so you can't open the bottom without first opening the top.

sixshooter+

Post by sixshooter+ » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 10:28 pm

Jeff,
I have 3 Weso stoves and have heated my house with them for over 28 years. I have two first generation Weso's and one second gen Weso. I tried burning anthrosite coal in my first gen Weso, but after many attempts, finally gave it up. They say it's a wood/coal burner, but I don't believe it is. Suggest you give up coal and use hardwood. Be sure not to leave the bottom door open with the top door closed. I cracked the top of the casting about 20 years ago. Replaced it, but today parts are not readily available. I feel Weso's are the best stove on the market and they last almost forever. Have never had a problem other then the cracket top, and that was my fault for leaving the bottom door open. Hope this helps. My cell is 484/948-7713 if you want to talk wood burning. I'm 69 and still cut, split and stack my own wood. I burn about 3-6 cords/year depending on weather and we cook on our Weso every day.
Pete

jpete

Post by jpete » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks for the help Pete. We heated and cooked with our WESO when I was growing up. I spent a lot of time cutting/splitting/stacking wood in my day. My only complaint with it is the small firebox and it tapers down to even smaller. I don't think it's time effective to run wood in it. I guess if you enjoyed the process of cutting, etc, it would be OK. But I don't. That's why I love coal so much. Just fill and empty.

It worked well when I used it at the start of the season but there is no one here to tend it at the required intervals.

My Harman holds about 40lbs of pea coal. The WESO half that. So frequency of tending is about double. I love the stove. It's much safer around my children but I can't keep it running for as long as I need to.

carolstosca

Post by carolstosca » Sat. Nov. 13, 2010 6:57 pm

I have a Weso Ceramic stove I purchased in 1984. I have always used hard coal (anthracite) nut size. I could never use soft coal, it produced too many clinkers. Great stove, used to heat the entire house in Newport RI. I have one problem now. I live in Harpers Ferry WV and the only place I used to get coal from has stopped carrying anthracite.

Can anyone tell me where I can get bagged coal?

Thanks and love your stove.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”