New Saey 93 Installed, Need to Try, How Cold?

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Hello, nice forum, lots of usefull info. Have heated a long time with wood, but since it has gotten hard for me to get properly seasoned wood, I put a coal stove in. Just one thing, the dealer said I would should try both nut and pea coal to see what would work best for me. Depends on the amount of draft I have, the way I read it. I want to try it out to see which one I need before it gets really cold, so I can have the coal I need stored and ready to burn. Now I see we are getting a cold front this weekend, I like in upstate ny, lows in the 40's seems like it may be cool enough for me to try it. Right? Or should I wait till it gets cooler? I had an old fisher type wood stove and the masonary chimney I had even with warmer temps had a ton of draft. I jsut do not want to think I need one size of coal only to find out later I have 3 tons of the wrong size.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 7:24 pm

A few fires that you have to let go out because it gets too warm will not tell you much. You need a week or two of a steady fire to evaluate. upstate NY I would lean toward the nut coal for easier draft through the bed and higher heat output. Do you have the hopper and also a slicing or flat poker to help clear ash?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Where in Upstate NY?

If you have good draft, either size will burn fine. Nut will be more responsive.

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I am in Burdett, just north of Watkins Glen. I do have the hopper, but not a slicer. the stove I bought, a dealer had that was used, but for a couple months, it is just about brand new. Am I missing something that should go with it? I think if it gets cool Sunday night like they are saying, I will give it a try. Our house gets pretty cool downstairs in the mornings anyway this time of year. I feel like nut will be the size, but at least I will feel better about shelling out the dough for it.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 10:19 pm

That Saey likes Pea coal. My buddy has one. Very quirky to run, but you'll get the hang of it. It likes to roast you out of the house, so burning nut would put you in Chernobyl territory. :lol:

The spring loaded air flapper in the back is VERY sensitive to adjustment. Trial & error will get you in the ballpark eventually. You definitely want a solid week of 30's to really have a good test of what it is capable of.

Keep in mind, this could be because he has a strong draft - your chimney will be different, so you may end up with nut after all. You'll have to try both & see what works for you.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 11:19 pm

See if you have a slot or slots in the front of the stove at grate level. You will need a flat poker to get in there to do a better job of clearing the ash. You can make one from a piece of 3/4 by 1/8 steel from the hardware store. Heat and bend over the end for about a 4 inch handle. You will need it because the shaking grate is not aggressive enough. If the slot is wide enough use wider steel. You probably will not need it for a few days with a fresh fire but after that the ash will build up too much without some help from a poker. The fire will die.

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 7:41 am

That is the reason I put the saey in, supposed to put out some heat. Makes a lot of sense about the slicer. Looking at it, lookies like I can get at the bottom of the grates pretty easy if I make the tool like you said. Now, I am just glad I found a good way to store the coal, my wife did not want nothing in the yard, so I decided what to do was it put supersacks in the basement, and chute the coal right into them.Should work great. Thanks for the info.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 9:30 am

The Saey website shows only a Model 1, and a Model 92. Does the Model 93 replace the Model 92?

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Sun. Sep. 09, 2012 8:18 am

Is a 92, not a 93 like I typed. I lit it up last night. And I think, I better get pea coal. You could start a nuclear reaction with nut.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 8:03 pm

How's the 92 been working with pea?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 8:12 pm

tmckenzie wrote:Is a 92, not a 93 like I typed. I lit it up last night. And I think, I better get pea coal. You could start a nuclear reaction with nut.
Nut is used only if you have poor draft...easier to get the air up through.

Pea being more restrictive to air flow needs the normal/better draft.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 11:22 pm

tmckenzie wrote:Is a 92, not a 93 like I typed. I lit it up last night. And I think, I better get pea coal. You could start a nuclear reaction with nut.
You should be able to restrict the air enough to control that fire. Find out where the excess air is coming from.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 2:19 am

franco, I think you correct. The stove has an air leak somewhere. In order to control the fire you must seal any air leaks in the doors or seams of the stove.

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 6:08 am

It did indeed have an air leak. There was a piece of gasket missing on one of the doors. I a burning a mixture of nut and pea right now. It seems to be working fine. And no fuel oil bill.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 6:49 am

Nice when a plan comes together. :D Most fixes on these things are usually pretty simplistic. More common sense then all the anaylitical nonsense. Glad you're gainin on it. Keep us posted.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”