New Saey 93 Installed, Need to Try, How Cold?

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 3:48 pm

One thing I am going to add is a draft inducer. I have notcied with the nights getting colder that my draft is not as good and have almost lost my fire tending it in the mornings. My stove is vented to a tall tile lined masonary chimney. I am thinking that what happens is that thing cools down at night reducing my draft. I read on hear people have had good luck with them.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Before taking such a step you have to measure the draft with a manometer. Chimneys draw better in cold weather so I suspect you are not properly clearing the ash the night before.

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 7:12 am

Ordered a manometer with it. Last night it was clear of ash good fire going when I went to bed. Checked it at 2 she was almost cold. Had to put wood on. It has always been my experience that they would draw better when cold. Maybe where my house is, or it is not tall enough or something. This is about the 4th night in a row. Some of the coolest weather we have had, never had trouble keeping a fire till now. Here is the thing, this stove has a plate in it that when installed it makes the gases go a different route to the flue. Must be a double jacket deal. It will work fine if that plate is not in, but it will not put out near the heat. I think they are cooling down too much before they get to the chimney.

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 8:48 am

Alright, I think the troule is a slight draft problem and a big dose of me being a thrifty Scot. Or cheap as my wife says. I ut the plate in half way and built a big fire and kind of piled it high in the middle so I could have more coal in the fire box. She is cooking. I will check my draft and go from there.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 8:57 am

I think that all of us at some time or other come to realize that the biggest problem with this coal burning, is EXACTLY that--US ;)

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 9:01 am

And one thing about me is am in no way paitient. Not good with coal.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 9:09 am

Ain't you UNIQUE :clap: toothy you probably just described 98% of us on the FORUM ;)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 5:07 pm

All smoke passageways must be clean, those double wall heat exchangers slow down the air passing through them, and the fly ash gets deposited in the passageways.
I would suspect you have cleanout doors or access panels to clean out the heat exchanger passageways.

If it used to draw OK, then it's likely it's clogged with fly ash.

Greg L

tmckenzie

Post by tmckenzie » Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:55 am

I will have to shut it down and try to claen them out, no doors so I am going to have to have to figure that out. I am thinking is is draft, got wood going in it now, and it is drafting through the heat exchanger fine. Coal burnt fine until about 11 last night the temp was dropping and as it dropped the fire dropped with it.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”