Efel Wood/Coal Stove Identification

prplhz96

Post by prplhz96 » Mon. Jul. 09, 2012 12:15 pm

I just purchased an efel stove off of an older gentleman I work with. I am having a hard time figuring out the model efel it is. I am leaning towards a montana, but the id tag on the back does not specify. All it has is the clearances for 4 different model stoves. Any help would be appreciated. It has a top feed door with a chute inside that acts as a hopper and also has a side load door. The reason I need the model is so I can install the stove at the correct clearanxes per the id tag on the back. Image

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jul. 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I would use the greatest distances from combustibles unless you use heat shields on the stove or combustible walls.

SpudIslander
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel
Other Heating: Waterford Stanley

Post by SpudIslander » Thu. Sep. 10, 2015 1:13 pm

I have an Efel stove but no manual or model number on the stove. It is a solid fuel (wood and coal only) Top loading and similar to the Montana, but without the side loading coal hopper or loading port.
The glass front is a solid sheet and the stove air access is on the back bottom RH corner and is heat driven closing as the stove heats up. The stove is CSA Certified. Other than the cast metal identification and a sticker advising about fueling the only ID is 084 64 11 cast on the back.
I need to know clearances for installation. Any assistance on finding this information would be helpful.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 10, 2015 1:49 pm

oops.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Does it look like any of these models ?
http://www.efelspares.co.uk/Efel.php

Or does it match the specs for this one ?
http://www.efelspares.co.uk/Spares/64/1/Montana-Coal.html
Click the red "Read More" box to go to the next page with dimensions.

If not, you can click on whatever pictures look closet to what you have and it will take you to pages with more info about that model.

Hope that helps.

Paul

SpudIslander

Post by SpudIslander » Thu. Sep. 10, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks Paul. I have already found that it looks a lot like the Montana, but the differences I note make it another version. The number string cast on the back is similar, but not exactly like the Montana.
Mine has 084 64 11 - where the Montana has 084 64 or 08464 or 086.64, according to the bottom site. I bet the last digits "11" are unique to the lack of the coal chute/side loading door. My stove has a CSA sticker on it saying it is an acceptable stove for wood and coal burning, but that is not enough.

What is most problematic to me is the lack of the clearance from walls information plate on my stove like the one photographed in the earlier query. My plate is English and French like the one photographed but my stove has a stick-on advising coal and wood only for fueling and the helpful suggestion to not throw more fuel on the fire if the pipe is glowing red. Duh!
I need the manufacturer's recommendations to satisfy my insurance company.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 10, 2015 3:01 pm

As Franco mentioned, and If I remember correctly, the national fire code says something like, in the cases where there is no manufacturer's reduced clearance specified for a stove, the standard clearance of 36 inches to combustibles is to be used.

Or, your allowed to reduce the clearances by using recommended shielding methods that can be looked up online by searching for, "Stove reduced clearances" to get the reduced clearances on the page from the National Fire Code page below. That should meet your insurance companies requests.

Paul

Attachments

Stove cleances.gif
.GIF | 63KB | Stove cleances.gif

SpudIslander

Post by SpudIslander » Thu. Sep. 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks.
I was hoping for more like the sticker shown on the possible Montana label sighting in the top query. I had the equivalent quote on the Canadian "no specs on the stove" situation from a local WETT technician. That larger measurement would mean that I cannot use the stove where it is now.
Too bad I don't have that label on my stove.

Craw4
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116, Splendid Oak 27 & 29, Glenwood Oak 20,40 and 2- Glenwood Oak 30's
Coal Size/Type: Stove and Nut

Post by Craw4 » Fri. Sep. 11, 2015 8:11 am

The Efel I had the mod. # was cast inside the ashpan door.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Sep. 11, 2015 8:43 am

If you look at the NFC form I posted, you'll see that there are a number of things you, or a contactor, can do to reduce the stove clearance to combustibles.

Antique stoves have no such tags, yet they are often installed with reduced clearance methods shown. I made an insulated sheet metal heat shield for the back of my coal range that allows it to be within 12 inches of the back wall.

As long as the method of reducing the clearance meets those NFC standards, then the insurance company likely will be ok with it.

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Sep. 11, 2015 10:44 am

SpudIslander wrote:Thanks.
I was hoping for more like the sticker shown on the possible Montana label sighting in the top query. I had the equivalent quote on the Canadian "no specs on the stove" situation from a local WETT technician. That larger measurement would mean that I cannot use the stove where it is now.
Too bad I don't have that label on my stove.
Heres the full sticker on the back of my Bayard, which Im pretty sure will be the same. Just tell whoever that this is a copy of your models sticker and they likely wont know the difference. Cut the top part off or just tell them yours is a Bayard and they will never know. And for whatever its worth, I had mine at an angle to the wall and had it pretty close to the wall with protection.

Make sure to go over Sunny's post a couple back. Clearances can be reduced with wall protection.

Attachments

4-11-11 001.JPG
.JPG | 236.1KB | 4-11-11 001.JPG

SpudIslander

Post by SpudIslander » Sat. Sep. 12, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks to all who have shown an interest in my problem.
I contacted the UK distributor of the stove and they confirmed that it was marketed there as a Montana. "The code number is for a Montana and not all of them had a side door" said their technical support person. They also sent me a pair of documents, one of which was clearly for the Montana and the second that came with the UK version of the Harmony and the following advice,
'See attached documents. The harmony came after the Montana but the clearances will be the same."
Given all the jurisdictional issues we will see what happens with a picture of a sticker on the stove as sold in the USA and a manual for a successor stove sold in the UK when presented to a WETT technician working on behalf of a Canadian insurer.

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Sat. Feb. 08, 2020 6:24 pm

For anyone looking at this regarding Efel model numbers and parts inquiries the 084 is the series the 64 is the stove model and in this case the 11 is the part that number was stamped on. Each casting part of the stove will have a number at the end referring to it specifically. The back of the stove if this is where 11 was found is part number 11. If you need to find a part 084 64 xx will be stamped on it somewhere if it hasn't burned off and xx is that parts number. Hope that helps

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”