Door Latch for Franco Belge Stove

Hephaestus1

Post by Hephaestus1 » Thu. Jan. 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Just bought a home with a Franco Belge model 144.08.02 stove. The stove appeared to be in great shape, so I was looking forward to firing it up, until I discovered that the cast-iron latch that holds the door shut is broken. Tried contacting KC Stoves in Alburtis and another place in Harrisburg to locate a spare, but no luck. Woodmans Parts Plus does not have the part I need. Have not found any good leads on Craigslist or Ebay for a non-working stove to use for parts, either. Anyone out there know of any good leads for Franco Belge parts, or know of an alternate part that could do the job until I can track the proper part down?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Post a picture of the broken part. I might have one.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Fri. Jan. 20, 2012 9:25 am

I have 2 complete 144.08.02's sitting here looking for a good home... Between both stoves there are more than enough parts to make one GREAT stove, plus have tons of spare parts in great condition left over... I hesitate to part out these stoves because they obviously would not be complete any longer... I am willing to negotiate a very fair and favorable deal for both stoves, short money... I have had them for several years now, garage kept and in need of rebuild, I have about zero time available to do anything and they must go, taking up much needed space but won't ever let them go to scrap... Beautiful stoves in need of a good home... PM me if interested and we can talk...

Adam

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Fri. Jan. 20, 2012 9:38 pm

franco b wrote:Post a picture of the broken part. I might have one.
I'm going to keep you in mind for the near future! Fortunately, my stove had recent maintenance on it right before I bought it. However, I have this horrible feeling that my shaker tool will only last me through the rest of this season. It seems that those hooks are not made to last for long!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 2:51 am

Perhaps the broken one can be welded? I have a friend that is a master with a TIG welder. When I have a similar project to this I show it to him & proclaim it can not be welded. ;)

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Freddy wrote:Perhaps the broken one can be welded? I have a friend that is a master with a TIG welder. When I have a similar project to this I show it to him & proclaim it can not be welded. ;)
someone else recommended this. Actually, if I can heat it up hot enough, I think I could bend the existing part enough to still get a decent hook. I'm not sure how to do this, though. Anyone have any ideas??

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Heat the portion you want to bend red hot at the point you wish it to bend, bend with a pliers to a right angle.

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 5:51 pm

franco b wrote:Heat the portion you want to bend red hot at the point you wish it to bend, bend with a pliers to a right angle.
Heat it with WHAT?

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 5:55 pm

With a Bernzomatic type propane torch.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Hold the boat! Generally you can not bend cast iron no matter how hot you heat it. If it is cast, it will have to be welded. Even welding is chancy. Sometimes cast just refuses to make a strong weld, but if it's the only chance, it should be tried.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Freddy wrote:Hold the boat! Generally you can not bend cast iron no matter how hot you heat it. If it is cast, it will have to be welded. Even welding is chancy. Sometimes cast just refuses to make a strong weld, but if it's the only chance, it should be tried.
We are talking two different things by two posters. One is a cast door latch and the other is a cast shaker handle with a steel hook. The steel you can heat and bend.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 7:15 pm

A bernzomatic will not heat steel to red. you need an oxy-acetylene torch.

Greg L

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 8:15 pm

LsFarm wrote:A bernzomatic will not heat steel to red. you need an oxy-acetylene torch.

Greg L
Depends on the mass of the steel. You can heat a needle red hot with a match. A piece of round steel 3/16 can easily be heated.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 9:17 pm

A propane/air mix is not hot enough, an acetylene/air torch will turn steel red enough to braze, but not to weld, You'll heat it for 15minutes with propane/air and still break it.

A propane torch isn't hot enough to start an anthracite fire. Maybe MAPP gas, I've used it for soldering copper pipes, it works much better than propane, but I still like my Acetylene/air torch.

I gave away my propane bernzomatics.

Greg L

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 9:27 pm

LsFarm wrote:A propane/air mix is not hot enough, an acetylene/air torch will turn steel red enough to braze, but not to weld, You'll heat it for 15minutes with propane/air and still break it.

A propane torch isn't hot enough to start an anthracite fire. Maybe MAPP gas, I've used it for soldering copper pipes, it works much better than propane, but I still like my Acetylene/air torch.

I gave away my propane bernzomatics.

Greg L
Not trying to weld or braze. He only wants to heat it red hot to bend it easily. For small parts a propane torch can easily braze. Jewelers braze all the time with an alcohol lamp and blowpipe held in the mouth.
Last edited by franco b on Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”