Godin / Franco Belge Running Well Few Questions ?

kstone
Baseburners & Antiques: Andes 14 crown
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by kstone » Sat. Jan. 14, 2012 11:19 am

The Godin is installed with 4 feet off 4 inch stove pipe with a barometric damper at end off 4 inch then necks up to six and enter flue. no MPD installed. The cast iron exhaust flange and elbow run 200's to 400's F. even at 400's the temperature a foot before the barometric damper on the stove pipe is low 100's too not to warm to leave your hand on the pipe. Stove and piping system seem to work great. My question is Godin spec sheet show you can mount the cast iron exhaust flange to exit at the high or low port it's currently at the low. What does this change in the operation off the stove if anything. and with the current set up an MPD help or no difference. More temperature info on the lower cast iron intake door there are two upper points at theses spots I run a pretty close too 600 f. As I move up on the sheet metal skin I can see high 6's to low 7's then back down to 4's 3's and 2's at top off stove still on the sheet metal skin

The Franco Belge is running much better I removed the barometric damper from the pipe moved the T it was installed in down and replaced the bottom elbow with the T leaving a dead space below for flyash to fall too. This stove has a PLUME off hot air coming out off the chrome top. I am impressed with this stove only being @ 16000 BTU's . The Franco runs are much shorter than the Godin. Heat output is very hard to compare as the Franco pushes massive amounts off hot air out the top. The Godin seems to be more off a radiant heat. Not as much air flow but you get with in line off sight off it and it warms you. If you stay still you will hear the ding in your head telling you that side is toasted turn around and do the other side :roll:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 14, 2012 3:50 pm

The lower port is the right one on the small Godin but be aware that the lower port can get obstructed by fly ash or even small pieces of coal. By using the lower port the baffle effect and the extra heat absorbing surface of the casting should lower stack temp. further than if using the casting reversed. The Godin is much more difficult than the Franco Belge to clear ash but because of the deep coal bed is capable of long burn times that the Franco is incapable of.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”