Temps on Franco Belge

Very popular in the 70's and 80's there is many brands of smaller hand fired coal stoves from many European countries. These can also date back to the turn of the last century. Imported stoves would include such brands as Franco Belge, Saey and Efel among many others.
first-timer

Post Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 9:44 pm

wow just got home a waping 75 degrees in here , my stove is at 380 degrees and stack before baro was at 200, does this sound right man its warm in the basement , must be in the high 80's down there , coal is burning good even tho its still very warm out , had it set on setting 6 , there is 8 setting on it but it tells you not to run it higher than 6 for more than a fw hours , it will over fire , at what temps do stoves usally overfire at ?:D

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Last year I had a thermometer on the top of my F-B stove and I recall it getting up to 300 to 350 degrees F. Maybe a bit higher when I dialed it up pretty high.
What is your dial set at? Is there any air leaking in through the ash door gasket? As far as overfiring, I don't know what the temp would be but I heard that cast iron stoves can actually get cherry-red.

first-timer

Post Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 10:17 pm

it was on setting 6 , all new gaskets door-top plug-ash door ,she was humming along , just turnered her back to setting 5, maybe ill turn her down to 4 before bed , but I want the stack temp to stay up so we don't have any co problems again , with the warm temps out there :D

first-timer

Post Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 10:35 pm

just checked the temps:
140 stack
280 stove
on setting 5

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post Thu. Nov. 15, 2007 10:35 pm

That sounds reasonable. It is still too warm to get my stove lit. Perhaps next week.

JiminBucks
Stove/Furnace Make: EFEL \ Franco Belge
Stove/Furnace Model: Classic Lion \ Normandie

Post Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 11:14 am

Hey First-timer. I just picked up a used Franco Belge Normandy model. Real pretty Hunter Green. Got it hooked up over the Weekend and test fired. I set the adjustable plate at the lowest setting for 'pea' coal but it went out after 12 hrs when I shook it down. I was told to move the plat up to the Top. What model do you have , I don't have the manuel and I can't see any marking on the plate for Coal sizes. Jim

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”