Franco B, I Need Some Info...

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 7:23 am

Good morning, folks. Hope you are all staying warm. It was 22 this morning when I got up, but my house was 72,so we are doing nicely so far!

Quick question for Franco B, or anyone else who has a stove like mine. I'm sure this will raise more discussion, but that's fine with me, as more information is always helpful

How much coal does the FB hold? How much coal should I be burning per day on the average? My house is a two story with about 1500 sf and well insulated. I have my thermostat set at 3.5 (out of 8 possible settings) and I am currently filling my hopper about 1 and half times a day. How much coal would that be poundage wise? I'm not sure exactly how much coal my hopper can hold, but it's a pretty good amount. I can fill it with about 1.5 "coal buckets" (you know, the traditional looking coal bucket....). I'm just noticing it now that I've turned up my thermostat. Of course, I'm going through the coal faster than before when it was in the upper 40's outside. I'm trying to do some quick figuring for how much coal I'm probably going to burn this winter.

Thanks all!

Merry Christmas to ya.....

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 11:33 am

musikfan6 wrote:Good morning, folks. Hope you are all staying warm. It was 22 this morning when I got up, but my house was 72,so we are doing nicely so far!

Quick question for Franco B, or anyone else who has a stove like mine. I'm sure this will raise more discussion, but that's fine with me, as more information is always helpful

How much coal does the FB hold? How much coal should I be burning per day on the average? My house is a two story with about 1500 sf and well insulated. I have my thermostat set at 3.5 (out of 8 possible settings) and I am currently filling my hopper about 1 and half times a day. How much coal would that be poundage wise? I'm not sure exactly how much coal my hopper can hold, but it's a pretty good amount. I can fill it with about 1.5 "coal buckets" (you know, the traditional looking coal bucket....). I'm just noticing it now that I've turned up my thermostat. Of course, I'm going through the coal faster than before when it was in the upper 40's outside. I'm trying to do some quick figuring for how much coal I'm probably going to burn this winter.

Thanks all!

Merry Christmas to ya.....
I don't know which model you have, it sounds about right but you could probably expect to use about two hods a day in the depths of winter.

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 11:47 am

Yeah, I'm coming closer to that now. I figured that I'll probably have to load every 12 hours or so. Like I said, I'm just trying to figure how much coal I'll use.

I don't know what the lbs per day is for the average person.. Anyone want to chime in and tell me how many lbs. you burn a day???

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 12:37 pm

About 50 pounds a day is tops for that stove without over firing and 40 pounds is better. That translates to two coal hods for about 40 pounds. The hopper and firebox hold about 50 pounds.

In the cold weather you should get away with 40 pounds which is a very common usage.

To put that into perspective, if you burn 40 pounds of coal containing 13,000 BTU per pound times .90 efficiency (which that stove is capable of) equals 11,700 BTU of heat delivered to the room for each pound of coal. Times 40 equals 468,000 BTU divided by 24 hours equals 19,500 BTU delivered to the room for each hour.

To equal that with oil in a boiler running at 80 percent efficiency you would burn a bit over 4 gallons times about $3.50 per gallon equals $14.00 versus about $6 for a 40 pound bag of coal.

Top off the hopper each time you shake. One and one half coal hod buckets is about 30 pounds.

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 1:22 pm

So a coal Hod is the bucket that I have?? sorry for the dumb question.

The amount you are saying sounds about right. I fill the hopper right up to the top at about 10:30 PM. That will last me until around 3:00 the next day, and then I usually need to add because by then I'm pretty much down to almost none in the hopper. Then I "top it off" at bedtime.

I hope I"m not overfiring. I'm running it on about 3.5 on the thermostat right now. I know that you can run the stove around 4 without overfiring, but after that, I think it's getting pretty intense. 3.5 worked well last evening, and it was 22 degrees this morning.

My average burning temp is about 400-450 degrees. I suppose it's a good idea to top off the hopper every time I shake. With the current situation, I'm shaking at about 5:30AM, around noon, and then in the evening. I usually don't need to empty my ashpan until before bed.

With the figures you are giving me, I'd estimate that I'm probably going to go through about 3 tons of coal this winter. I'm hoping that I'm figuring correctly.

Thanks for the information, FrancoB!

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 1:48 pm

The hopper has to have enough coal so it can feed very hot coal when you shake down. The blue flames will be long and lazy.

It's hard to measure temperature on that stove because everything is covered except the top and when the hopper is full it kind of insulates it. You are not over firing it and 2.5 to 3 tons is about right. Depends on what temperature you keep the house. Keep the glass clean every week or so.

Coal hod or coal scuttle which is what I always have heard them referred to as.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 1:50 pm

UAE Harmony nut-30 lbs.

Attachments

004.JPG
.JPG | 127.4KB | 004.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Without heaping it up and filling level plus deducting the weight of the scuttle it will be more like 20 for the usual scuttle. There are different sizes though, Some hold 25 pounds. From a 40 pound bag I fill the scuttle twice to not quite level using pea coal.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Franco B,
just leveled and deducting the hod was 25 lbs. I didnt realize there were different sizes. Is it a hod or a scuttle.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Dennis wrote:Franco B,
just leveled and deducting the hod was 25 lbs. I didnt realize there were different sizes. Is it a hod or a scuttle.
I always knew it as a scuttle. It was only on this site and I see on some web sites for sale that it is referred to as a hod. In old Sears catalogs they are called hods. Three different sizes 15 cents to 20 cents, 1898.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Hod--Scuttle. Oh what a muddle. toothy-- franco b, quit breaking out your childhood books. ;) Couldn't help myself on that one my friend. :)

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 3:50 pm

freetown fred wrote:Hod--Scuttle. Oh what a muddle. toothy-- franco b, quit breaking out your childhood books. ;) Couldn't help myself on that one my friend. :)
Bad rhyme.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 4:04 pm

It's true I used to really study the old Sears catalogs. I have four of the old reprints and five of the newer ones (not reprints) including the last big catalog which I think was in 1991.

Very educational, from looking at ladies in girdles as a teenager to following the changes in fashion, price, and thought in everything from tools to to almost anything you could think of. Social anthropology as it happened.

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Tue. Dec. 13, 2011 7:49 am

OK...so with my 1st grade mind right now, we are talking about a scuttle or hod. This is the "bucket", NOt the hopper, correct?? My brain is kinda fried right now.

Yeah, I could fill my bucket about twice with a 40 lb bag of coal.
franco b wrote:The hopper has to have enough coal so it can feed very hot coal when you shake down. The blue flames will be long and lazy.

It's hard to measure temperature on that stove because everything is covered except the top and when the hopper is full it kind of insulates it. You are not over firing it and 2.5 to 3 tons is about right. Depends on what temperature you keep the house. Keep the glass clean every week or so.
Coal hod or coal scuttle which is what I always have heard them referred to as.
Keeping the house at about 72-73 degrees. Very comfortable, but I'm not like some of those who are able to run around in shorts and a t-shirt. :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 13, 2011 8:27 am

Yes, bucket not hopper. ;)

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”