Staring a Godin Petite Getting Draft Started

dougw

Post by dougw » Sat. Dec. 10, 2011 8:11 pm

:? I have a Godin Petite stove that works very well except start up. With the exhaust ports on the back of the stove , one high and one low, I notice as I start the stove with wood, I get smoke coming out of the top until a draft is created. Any suggestions on starting the stove or creating a draft to avoid smoke coming into the room? Thanks

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sat. Dec. 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Hair dryer or heat gun pointed into the stoves air ports which lead to the flue pipe and chimney. Keep it on for a few minutes and this should heat up the pipe and chimney and create the draft you need to prevent the smoke from coming out of the stove. If you establish the draft with the dryer or heat gun before you light the stove I feel this will eliminate the problem.

dougw

Post by dougw » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 5:55 am

I will try the heat gun today - Thank you

dougw

Post by dougw » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 7:17 am

BTW - what did Godin users do before heat guns?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 7:38 am

lit a piece of paper/kindling & held it inside by/in the air ports, or maybe had a lot more knowledge about these stoves then we all proclaim. ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 10:09 am

buck24 wrote:Hair dryer or heat gun pointed into the stoves air ports which lead to the flue pipe and chimney. Keep it on for a few minutes and this should heat up the pipe and chimney and create the draft you need to prevent the smoke from coming out of the stove. If you establish the draft with the dryer or heat gun before you light the stove I feel this will eliminate the problem.
The Bride has a low exit port at the same level as the fire pot and the best for it is the hair dryer as described by buck24.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Dec. 12, 2011 8:57 am

I take three sheets of newspaper balled up lightly. I lite that and that establishes a draft really quickly. Big problem when I don't start with balled up newspaper. Don't use the glossy ad type paper. That burns sluggishly. Use the classifieds. They seem to be the best burning quality.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”