Russo CW75 Coal Furnace ?

Jackman

Post by Jackman » Thu. Aug. 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Thinking about supplementing my existing oil boiler with a Russo CW75 coal furnace, anyone have info good or bad in regards to the Russo CW75 coal furnace :?:

The unit I am looking at is used and needs a blower assembly and door glass plus a new seal ,over all it looks like a good unit he is asking 300 dollars...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 11, 2011 10:57 pm

I see that catalytic combusters are available for that model which would make it a wood burner. Are you sure it is a coal burning stove? Some pictures would help a lot.

To replace the glass and blower could cost several hundred dollars plus the effort of finding them and the labor involved. I think it is starting to get pricy.

Jackman

Post by Jackman » Fri. Aug. 12, 2011 6:19 am

Hi Franco, What is a catalytic combuster ?

The Russo CW75 is a coal/ wood burner , I found the Russo company there still operating so I'll call today :D , this furnace looks well built very heavy and solid the new units from Keystoker are up around 3,000 dollars so there should be lots to work with on repair cost of the Russo . I still have lots to learn so I could be way off base but so far this looks like a good idea.... Thanks :!:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Aug. 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Keystoker is a stoker. I don't think the Russo is. A catalytic combuster is a honeycomb device that when smoke from a wood fire passes through it, it enables the smoke to burn at a much lower temperature. Can not be used with coal.

Salt remains a solid at room temperature but if you add water as a catalyst it melts at room temp.

Need more info on that particular model of Russo.

Jackman

Post by Jackman » Sat. Aug. 13, 2011 6:43 am

franco b wrote:Keystoker is a stoker. I don't think the Russo is. A catalytic combuster is a honeycomb device that when smoke from a wood fire passes through it, it enables the smoke to burn at a much lower temperature. Can not be used with coal.

Salt remains a solid at room temperature but if you add water as a catalyst it melts at room temp.

Need more info on that particular model of Russo.

The CW75 is a wood / coal burner , I intend on just coal zero wood. I called the Russo company they are very helpful and all parts are still available even though the they no longer make coal stoves , she claims that the CW75 is a very good stove and should last atleast 40 years. any way the parts for this unit are expensive a new door glass is 107 dollars (i need that) and a new blower assembly is 327 dollars (i need that too) also its missing two handles and will need a smoke pipe and damper ,,,,,,,,,,,, anyway I have more research to do unless I get this unit cheap , the seller wants 300 but needing 500 dollars worth of repair parts is something to consider too...

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Aug. 13, 2011 8:04 am

Agree. I'd have a look in your local Craigslist for some candidates. Just type in coal stove on the left side search and see what comes up. There are quite a few deals out there if you look. We have Uncle Henry's up here too which can be a good source.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”