Surdiac Questions

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Wed. Oct. 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Gang--

Does this model stove have any value? I mean, does it compare to a Harman or another high quality stove? Certainly is is worth something.
Is it difficult to operate? It doesn't look very user friendly IMO.

Also, the hopper is broke in two pieces and appears to be unrepairable. The hopper is cast iron. It sits inside the stove. The model in the image appears to be the smaller of the two. I believe the 713 is 25% bigger.. this is the 515 .

Where can I find a hopper without paying the value of the stove?

Attachments

Surdiac.jpg
.JPG | 200.7KB | Surdiac.jpg

chet

Post by chet » Wed. Oct. 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Cap wrote:Gang--

Does this model stove have any value? I mean, does it compare to a Harman or another high quality stove? Certainly is is worth something.
Is it difficult to operate? It doesn't look very user friendly IMO.

Also, the hopper is broke in two pieces and appears to be unrepairable. The hopper is cast iron. It sits inside the stove. The model in the image appears to be the smaller of the two. I believe the 713 is 25% bigger.. this is the 515 .

Where can I find a hopper without paying the value of the stove?
Hello Cap

I just sold a Surdiac model MCK 628, the internals are the same, but the cabinet is different, mine was like new, it is a fine stove, my wife did not like the way you had to shake it, you had to use a flat bar and insert it in the slots below the firebox and work it side to sdie, worked fine but dusty, If you have to buy the stove, I would go with a stove with the shaker grate handle on the outside of the stove similiar to the Harmans and the Hitzer, where are you located, I know where you can get a new 30-95 Hitzer at a good price in Pittston PA

Chet

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Wed. Oct. 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi Cap:
If memory serves me, the Surdiac stoves were almost internally identical to the Franco-Belge stoves and may have even been manufactured by Franco Belge. Spare parts for the F-B stoves are available. Just Google "parts Franco Belge coal stove" or variations thereof and you will find some sites. New as well as used parts should be available.
An alternative approach would be to purchase an entire used stove and cannibalize it for parts. Good luck in your search. By the way, I think the maximum output of your stove would be about 45,000 BTU. That may or may not be enough to heat your space.
John

chet

Post by chet » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 6:01 am

JerseyCoal wrote:Hi Cap:
If memory serves me, the Surdiac stoves were almost internally identical to the Franco-Belge stoves and may have even been manufactured by Franco Belge. Spare parts for the F-B stoves are available. Just Google "parts Franco Belge coal stove" or variations thereof and you will find some sites. New as well as used parts should be available.
An alternative approach would be to purchase an entire used stove and cannibalize it for parts. Good luck in your search. By the way, I think the maximum output of your stove would be about 45,000 BTU. That may or may not be enough to heat your space.
John
Hello John

The Surdiacs and the Franco Belge internals are not even close on the internals, the FB uses rotary type shaker grates, the hopper is a different style and the Surdiac does not have grates that move, they are stationary, at least on the models I have seen in the the last 35 yrs.

Chet

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi Chet:
I stand corrected. I guess my memory did not serve me well at all. Was I at least correct about common manufacture? I'm pretty sure that I looked at a Surdiac when I bought my first stove but, that was 27 years ago. Thanks for the correct info.
John

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Fri. Oct. 12, 2007 12:39 am

I ran a Surdiac model 508 for 2 winters as my shop stove. It had big cracks -could shine a light through when cold- in the cast iron along one side and the upper rear of the firebox and hopper (maybe from overfiring/ age/ etc?) Patched them with high-temp furnace cement from the local hardware store. The cement still is there, no more cracks, and the stove still runs fine, though maybe I would have been a little more picky if the thing was in my living room instead of the workshop doing part-time duty.

The stove shop in town sells Franco-Belge parts, I needed some sectional glass pieces and new glass gaskets when I got the stove. The F-B glass pieces fit fine, but I never asked if any other parts would.

P.S. worn-out Surdiac 508 for sale cheap, good for parts or small shop :lol:

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”