Godin Large Oval Questions

Arnold Ziffel

Post by Arnold Ziffel » Tue. Feb. 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello,

I'm considering the purchase of a used Godin Large Oval Stove -- Model 3734. I know nothing about them. Questions: Upon examination the "firebrick" interior has a couple of 1/32" to 1/16" WIDE cracks, ABOUT 7" LONG, at the upper portion of the fire box. At the bottom of the firebox and running upward about 6" - 8" all the way around the oval there is some erosion of the firebrick due to past coal fires. I'd guess that in some sections half of the fire brick thickness has eroded. Are either of these problems a major concern? Is firebrick erosion a normal part of the stove aging process? Is it possible to have new firebrick installed? Is it cost effective? Godin stoves are not being imported to the lower 48 states, therefore I don't know if the OVAL firebrick is available or can be fabricated. Next Question: While the painted steel exterior is in good shape, there are numerous small chips in the enamel trim -- perhaps 100 - 200 small little "pops" on the stove top and decorative front door and ash catcher. What causes this? Too much heat? Something else? The "pops" are no bigger than the head of a pin in many cases.

I want to like this stove, but the firebrick condition is a big unknown to me and I don't want to be faced with a big stove rebuild bill.

Any thoughts, concerns, suggestions? Anything else I should be checking out on this model stove?

Thanks for helping me.

- Arnold Z.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Feb. 15, 2011 4:41 pm

It looks like that stove was well used. To replace firebrick I think would be too expensive. It can be patched but would probably have to do it each season. Enamel usually crazes from too much heat and the ash lip is not exposed to that so it could very well be just faulty enameling from the beginning.

It is not a large stove and it is claimed to produce 38,000 BTU, as a result many of these stoves have been over fired. To reach that figure you would have to burn about 90 pounds of coal per day and given the tiny ash pan is not realistic.

The major reason to buy a Godin is its looks and if this one does not look good I would hold out for a better example. It is a messy stove to tend.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Skip this one. There are plenty of them for sale and if you want one. A stove in better shape will soon come along.

Vangellis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Vangellis » Tue. Feb. 15, 2011 6:59 pm

As I said in another thread, my wife and I looked at the Godins when we shopped for a stove in the mid 1980's.
The model 3734 large oval was the one of that brand we were interested in and were quoted a price of $795 and
$31 for freight. Great looking stoves, but we opted for a more traditional wood stove looking brand.

The 3734 is the one in the middle.

Kevin

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”