Help Replacing Plates on Jotul 507

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Jan. 31, 2011 6:09 pm

I assume you mean the side or back plates and not the grate? The back and side grates come straight up. Often they are wedged in with fly ash. You may have to "persuade" them.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Jan. 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Well they do lift out cause here they are. I can't remember for sure but I think the back one has to come out first. Are you taking them out because they are no good and you are replacing them? If so no harm in cutting them but they will lift out once you get them free.
507 inserts.jpg
.JPG | 104.5KB | 507 inserts.jpg
507 inserts installed.jpg
.JPG | 137.5KB | 507 inserts installed.jpg
Now that I look at the picture of them installed, I'm pretty sure the back one has to come out first.

PC 12-47E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola, Jotul 507

Post by PC 12-47E » Mon. Jan. 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Replace the cast iron with fire brick... :idea:

Attachments

DSC00421.JPG
.JPG | 128.8KB | DSC00421.JPG
DSC00424.JPG
.JPG | 118.5KB | DSC00424.JPG

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 6:19 am

Very nice job PC-12, Looks like the way to go to me. :up: From what I hear about the cost of Jotul parts, the firebrick is a doubly good idea. I made steel back plate and top baffel for my Jotul wood stove. They have outlasted the original very thin cast iron plates. Overall I think Jotul makes very good wood and coal stoves, but my and my neighbors' woodstoves have both had short interor plate life spans. :gee:

vicbaba

Post by vicbaba » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I need to replace the side and rear plates but the job you did with the fire bricks looks great and probably a lot cheaper then replacing the plates

Where did you get the fire bricks? Did you cut them to size yourself? What are the dimensions? Thank you in advance.

littlefish
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil/baseboard

Post by littlefish » Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 9:49 am

found bricks at ace, depot website for $20 plus a tube of cement. how does brick vs cast affect heating? any advice on rebuilding the firebox?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 11:37 am

Wow, I never saw PC12 fire bricks job before and it's super nice and good. Bravo, I like that solution.
Fire bricks could only help to keep the heat inside of the fire chamber so the combustion will be very good.

PC 12-47E

Post by PC 12-47E » Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 4:15 pm

nortcan wrote:Wow, I never saw PC12 fire bricks job before and it's super nice and good. Bravo, I like that solution.
Fire bricks could only help to keep the heat inside of the fire chamber so the combustion will be very good.
Now before we get started on this, Forum Member "Freddy" gave me the idea of the fire bricks. Several years ago I bought a 507 from Freddy and he had replaced the cast iron with the fire brick. I liked the way the stove burned with the brick and then changed my other two Jotuls over to fire brick. At the time I changed the two stoves I think it cost about $30. 8-) :D

Eddie

littlefish

Post by littlefish » Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 4:05 pm

thanks pc12. picked up 5 bricks at a local stove shop $3.50 @. have furnace cement on the hvac truck. 9x4.5x1.25. two on the sides, one across the back, looks like a little trimming should lock them all in with a liberal buttering. getting the rear brick to follow the curve may be a challenge. additional problem is the front brick and cast frame, and the removable baffle in the center door. I plan to caulk the front brick with the cement. the center door cast baffle is broken, will try to fit a brick in there, but may just leave casting in place.

littlefish

Post by littlefish » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 9:17 pm

firing the stove now after trimming and fitting some 4x9 fire bricks using a pound or two of furnace cement. not as pretty as the previous pics, but it seems to radiate more nicely than with the burned-up castings. the castings are available from woodman's forge in e wakefield nh, about $225 for the set.

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Thu. Mar. 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi PC12 and all 507 repair folk, I have burned a couple of 507s for a few years now and could talk for hours on how great they are. I recently picked up a third 507 on the cheap, from craigs, I was lucky, again. My question is, has anyone replaced ALL the firebrick, from the bottom to the top? This stove has seen some heat, the upper inner casts are trash, and the lower firebrick(molded) has some considerable bubbles, although maybe its ok , so just put some brick in the top as done by others. I would like to do this once and correctly, so I thought I would ask? Probably use a disc grinder/ chisel/hammer to get the lowers out, if needed. I will post pics, to see what you all think, as I process this decision. Thank you for any future information. Robert

PC 12-47E

Post by PC 12-47E » Thu. Mar. 29, 2012 8:16 pm

alpineboard wrote:Hi PC12 and all 507 repair folk, I have burned a couple of 507s for a few years now and could talk for hours on how great they are. I recently picked up a third 507 on the cheap, from craigs, I was lucky, again. My question is, has anyone replaced ALL the firebrick, from the bottom to the top? This stove has seen some heat, the upper inner casts are trash, and the lower firebrick(molded) has some considerable bubbles, although maybe its ok , so just put some brick in the top as done by others. I would like to do this once and correctly, so I thought I would ask? Probably use a disc grinder/ chisel/hammer to get the lowers out, if needed. I will post pics, to see what you all think, as I process this decision. Thank you for any future information. Robert
Did that Jotul 507 come from C/L Southern Maine?

I think you could recast over what is left of the lower firebrick if you clean them up well..... :idea:
I used a 4" Makita grinder with a diamond blade. It will cut firebrick like butter.
Good luck with the Jotul...They make a great anthracite stove !!!!

Eddie

Attachments

DSC00275.JPG
.JPG | 22.8KB | DSC00275.JPG
DSC00424.JPG
.JPG | 20.4KB | DSC00424.JPG

alpineboard

Post by alpineboard » Thu. Mar. 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Eddie, yes cl s maine, I had not checked cl in a month and bang I was there within 14 hrs. in my subaru! The cicular grate has 2 cracks but still there. When you say recast, that means clean until fresh meat with a disc grinder , wet a little, and flash with a margin trowel using furnace cement, working in for good grip and a substantial layer, say 1/4". If too thin it will bubble. and let it dry a long time, 2 weeks before a lighting. it seems like a big/tricky job to do the lowers, but I do have a big wet saw, miter cuts, ect. and do stone work often. thanks, Robert ps, I found a site , Lynnmfg.com almost in our backyard, possible wet pack blanket the whole thing, just another take on it.

alpineboard

Post by alpineboard » Mon. Aug. 20, 2012 8:10 pm

This piece has seen some heat, the bottom refractory bricks were pretty bad, I removed them, but the rest of the stove was fine, though the round grate had been replaced, I stuck a 9" o.d. that is 13" long quikcrete sonotube in and poured castable refractory all the way up, that equals 24 pounds instead of the 14 pounds of coal, did not use that middle door anyway. I will post pics when it dries. R

Attachments

GOPR0248.JPG

507middle door heat plate

.JPG | 177.5KB | GOPR0248.JPG
GOPR0247.JPG

"..."

.JPG | 189.1KB | GOPR0247.JPG

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Alpine, You could have those parts recast/remade at a foundry like Tomahawk, in Wis. or Auburn Stove foundry, in Maine. They do sand castings of original parts usually for antique stoves. They can "copy" anything you send them but it is a copy of whatever you send including any flaws. That said, you would need to clean it up or use some bondo or whatever substance to correct whatever is wrong and get it to the shape that you want back. I actually used a wood copy of a dump fork shaker I needed for a circular grate. Came out well, errr...Great! ;)

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”