Franco Belge Coal Stove

jtduffy

Post by jtduffy » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 5:25 pm

I was just given a Franco belge coal stove. I think it was made in 84. It's big and really heavy. Can't find the model number. Don't know how to use it yet. Was told it burns pea coal. Would really like to research it. Please help......winters coming.

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Thu. Sep. 30, 2010 9:19 pm

My parents bought a coal stove in 1980. I was the operator of it until I left home in 1985. Then we installed a new one in 1988 and used it until we sold the house in 1992. So I think I know them pretty well. How can I help you?
I liked the stove. The air control was good and the self feeding aspect of it made it easy to keep burning. The most important thing was to shake it three times a day. The grates are the worst aspect of the stove. You will need to move the grates back and forth 20 - 30 times to get the ash sufficiently wown into the ash pan. Basically you shake the grates until you see some small pieces of burning coal drop into the ash pan. A couple times a week I would use the poker to push down ash in the front corners of the burn box. But that was about all I used the poker.
My mother still has the 1980 coal stove but has not used it for a few years (she's now 75).
When we decided to go back to coal heat (oil heat sucks) the used stove I found reasonably priced was a Harman, otherwise I would have installed a Franco Belge.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 5:47 am

The Franco is a good stove. Give it a good cleaning so you start fresh. In the rear are some cast iron elbows that come apart to allow cleaning the channels that go from front to back. Make sure they are sealed well when it goes back together. Make a poker from 1/8" round stock. A hand hold, 18" of length, a 90* bend and about 3 inches after the bend. You'll use this to slice up from under the grates. The only issue with these stoves is that they like to be shaken every 6 hours or so. The just don't like going 12 hours. Not that they won't, it's just they run better with a bit more attention than other stoves.

jtduffy

Post by jtduffy » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 5:52 am

Thank you for replying. What I don't understand is the self feeding part. There is a small removable lid on the top of the stove that says keep closed unless adding fuel. Inside there (above the burn box) is a hopper like area with a door. With the door in one position I can fit my hand right through to the burn box. The other way the opening is much smaller. Which position does it operate on? What does this door do? How does it self feed without an auger? Thanks again.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I know you said you don't know the model, but I'm real curious which one you have there... I own 2 identical Franco's both are model number- 144.08.01, FYI that is what all franco stove model numbers look like as well as each individual part of the stove...

If I'm not mistaken the model number is on the rear heat shield and worst case scenario it is stamped on the outside of the front cast iron firebox wall, will most likley have to take some of the stove apart to find that though, they are generally stamped well out of sight...

The manufacture date is stamped into the cast iron exterior door that you open to access the ash pan door...

Hope this helps and there are limited parts available for these stoves, thankfully they are the important parts that tend to go bad, such as the basket, primary/secondary grates, upper/lower hopper etc...

Murdoc

jtduffy

Post by jtduffy » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Didn't have time to search for the model # but I uploaded a pic on my facebook page. Look for John Duffy from Newport, Pa.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Sat. Oct. 02, 2010 8:32 am

Upload the pics on here if you get a chance...

Murdoc

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”