New Jotul 507B and a Few Questions

oldsawmillguy

Post by oldsawmillguy » Thu. Sep. 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks for the answers to an earlier post by me. I am an old guy that has a sawmill. I bought this sight unseen for a fair price. If I had seen it first I would have gone higher. It was pretty much mint condition, burnt a few times. Grate and shields like new. One chip in the porcelain finish but that is on the bottom edge of one of the doors. The hinges and latch hardware look like then have gone through many condensation cycles. Now my qurestions for anyone who has used one of these.
1. I am sitting on 5 ton of pea. Can I nurse it along on pea or must I mix?
2. The hinges and latches look like they were originally a flat black. Is this correct?

**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Thu. Sep. 09, 2010 8:06 pm

oldsawmillguy:

I have three Jotul 507's, with one of them burning year round. Yes, you can use the pea coal. You don't have to mix it just remember pea packs tighter than say nut or stove coal. You will have to increase your combustion air intake using pea as compared to if you were burning nut or stove coal. The latch hardware is a flat black. One helpful hint to remember, when you shake your stove always recheck the intake draft setting in the bottom door. I found with that type of air control it tends to change slightly while shaking. The vibration of shaking will make the air spinner change its setting. Also, watch your shaker handle while shaking. The wooden end tends to work loose if your shaking in the clockwise rotation. It does not come loose if you shake in the counterclockwise rotation. Make sure you use a temp guage to monitor the stove. I place the temp guage on the top loading door. These stoves are easy to overfire. The stoves can be pushed to surface temp of 932 F, however, I would not run it at that temp for extended times. I pushed my stove to 900 F once to see how it burned and it was like a nuclear reactor going critical. The coal burned up very very quickly. I run my stoves anywhere between 600-750 F around the clock all winter. If you place a fan behind the stove, you will get a lot more heat from the stove. I hope this helps. Congrats on the stove, they are a great performer.

The snowman.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”