Haas & Sohn Stove, Running Like a Well Coaled Machine

RMA

Post by RMA » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 1:44 pm

This is the fourth day of the season for a Haas & Sohn (c.1980) "Slow-Combustion Stove".
The draft is adjusted to .05" via baro damper, and stove top is 425* on Kimmel nut size coal.
The stove handles pea size coal well and may run a tad cooler, so fueled.
This represents near max output at the automatic setting of 6 (of indicated 1-6) The stove-top temperature
is well regulated via the automatic thermostat, and has held setting from 250* to near 450*.
The hopper, readily seen through the window, is well masked by the play of translucent coral-blue flames of the higher settings, in the evening. The stove is tight and well sealed. There is an additional air setting (0-2) behind the ash door, directed toward other specific fuels and slow burning [lignite briquettes, coke & etc. (& presumable of Euro market)]
Manual setting of the output looks to enable more combustion air and greater temperature but I haven't gone that route yet.
The stove is a cast iron stove sheathed in an enameled shell. The stove is thus, essentially, "Double Walled".
Little radiant heat is thrown off and most heat rises via convection from the sides of its "shell". Radiant heat is primarily
from the window, which has a slight mirrored effect, I believe to reduce infra-red...
The weight of this stove is in the area of 380lbs; hopper hold 50+lbs; burn time from 1-3 days.
The manufacturer seems to stress the fact that it can be turned down to burn coal quite slowly,
throwing-off little heat while doing so.

Bob

Attachments

P1000707.JPG
.JPG | 205.2KB | P1000707.JPG
P1000728.JPG
.JPG | 237.4KB | P1000728.JPG
P1000704.JPG
.JPG | 205.6KB | P1000704.JPG
P1000722.jpg
.JPG | 6.1KB | P1000722.jpg

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Lookin' good! 8-) Your gonna need it tonight, according to the forecast ... :yes:

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Neat looking little stove. Glad it working for you!! :)

RMA

Post by RMA » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Thank you, Smitty and Dave.
Ironically this SAME Stove has already been pictured in these pages.
Haas & Sohn Hopper Fed Stove
This same original owner is the chap I bought from...one year after this post!
It is also of similar specification to a "Buderus Juno" stove used by "Sierra 2001"

Bob

lynski

Post by lynski » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 7:15 pm

hi ,i am lynski,not really,i am lynn.just wondered if you could help me in findind grates for my buderus juno coal stove,i am unsure of the model,it is very much like the one in the pics related to this reply,except it dosent have glass in the middle it just has a upper and lower dore,auto damper/or manualle,and burns nut coal.if you could help me ,i would be very greatfull,thanks lynn.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 7:38 pm

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 11:11 pm

The Buderus stoves where imported by Haadler hardware in Pearl river NY. They have since sold everything to a wholesaler. There are some of these stoves in southern teir of NY. I have seen posts of people selling them as parlor stoves, I even think some are brand new. The parlor stoves people refer to I beleive where without the glass. I just sold mine last nite, but I still have the brochure somewhere that may help you with model numbers, I will look for it. Stay tuned.

RMA

Post by RMA » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 8:59 am

2001Sierra wrote:The Buderus stoves where imported by Haadler hardware in Pearl river NY. They have since sold everything to a wholesaler. There are some of these stoves in southern teir of NY. I have seen posts of people selling them as parlor stoves, I even think some are brand new. The parlor stoves people refer to I beleive where without the glass. I just sold mine last nite, but I still have the brochure somewhere that may help you with model numbers, I will look for it. Stay tuned.
A few short months ago, while I was shopping the stove and saw Sierra 2001's ad for his stove.
He was so kind as to send me the brochure, thanks again Sierra2001. It is a fine cross reference for my stove,
and shows two additional models:

Here ya go!
This is the brochure that Sierra 2001 is referring to:

Bob

Attachments

Buderus_Pg_1[1].pdf
.PDF | 356.6KB | Buderus_Pg_1[1].pdf

RMA

Post by RMA » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 9:07 am

lynski wrote:hi ,i am lynski,not really,i am lynn.just wondered if you could help me in findind grates for my buderus juno coal stove,i am unsure of the model,it is very much like the one in the pics related to this reply,except it dosent have glass in the middle it just has a upper and lower dore,auto damper/or manualle,and burns nut coal.if you could help me ,i would be very greatfull,thanks lynn.
Lynn,
Is there any information on the back of the stove?
You may find a metal tag or two that provide information such as model number, perhaps in German.

Bob

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Thu. Nov. 25, 2010 7:14 am

Hi lynn I have the same stove that you have its brand new never used and was thinking about installing, how do you like yours ? I do have all paperwork including a brochure. I can scan and email you if you would like. I do burn a pellet stove now but am thinking of going to coal. I do not know yet of which way to go in regards to spending the money on a new stove and going direct vent or power vent or doing a chimney and using the buderus. part of the fun is enjoying the flame.

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Fri. Nov. 26, 2010 11:39 am

Does it play DVDs ?
Looks like the old stereo in my dad's living room back in the 60s

frostybob123

Post by frostybob123 » Fri. Dec. 03, 2010 8:04 pm

blizzard wrote:Hi lynn I have the same stove that you have its brand new never used and was thinking about installing, how do you like yours ? I do have all paperwork including a brochure. I can scan and email you if you would like. I do burn a pellet stove now but am thinking of going to coal. I do not know yet of which way to go in regards to spending the money on a new stove and going direct vent or power vent or doing a chimney and using the buderus. part of the fun is enjoying the flame.
Hi if you have a Haas Sohn stove that is NEW never used and instructions......and a chimney wow I would hook that baby right up......with a pellet stove you have to worry about how cold you will get if the power goes out. Not this beauty. Use pea coal and if your house is moderately insulated you will be TOASTY. Or let me know if you want to sell it. They are great hook it up!!!!!!!!!!!!

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Tue. Jun. 05, 2012 11:52 am

I have one onhand and looking to sell. I haven't used it in years. Great condition. Please reply if interested or email me at [email protected]

dan83

Post by dan83 » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 6:00 pm

I have a pluto 121.10 just liek that one in the picture im lookin to sell. im not sure what it is worth. please let me know what one in good condition goes for and if anyone is interested. Thanks

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”