Russo Coal/Wood Stove Any Good?

tilac999

Post by tilac999 » Fri. Jan. 26, 2007 7:16 am

For sale locally is a Russo C-55 stove for $250 and 3.5 tons of Anthracite nut coal in 50lb bags for $400. Anyone know anything about this stove (a good coal burner?) and is it a good deal for the coal? Thinking about it.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jan. 26, 2007 8:05 am

I've seen that make of stove on ebay several times, and they look very heavy-duty. Most that I have seen have an ashpan, an air control on the aspan door and a grate. If the one you are considering has these items it should burn coal.

Can you go look at it?? And take some photos??

What I would look for, not necessarily in this order of priority:

Overall condition, warped, bent grates, doors not fitting etc, that would indicate having been over fired and overheated.

A good solid grate system with a sturdy shaking mechanism without too much slop in the linkage from wear.

Firebrick all around the firebox, at least 10" high. a regular fire brick is 4.5x9", and they are cheap, like $2 each so don't worry if a few are cracked. You want the ability to load the firebox deep, at least 10" deep for an all night burn.

If it has fans, make sure they run quietly,

Don't be alarmed by some rust, as long as it doesn't appear to have rust-through spots. The ash pan will be rusty unless new.

Those are the items that come to mind, I'm sure I've forgotten something, other forum members will add to the list.

Good luck, and post some photos if you can.

Greg L

Last edited by LsFarm on Sat. Jan. 27, 2007 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 26, 2007 8:09 am

The stove is a little off the beaten path but looks OK. The pricing for each is very good. I would say there is a heating season for someone here for about $650.

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Fri. Jan. 26, 2007 9:08 am

I had a Russo Coal/Wood stove in my old house. Only burned wood in it. Was younger and not as smart. Wood was always plentiful and so was my energy. Had I known what I know now I could have saved my self a ton of work. This stove, I don't remember the model # heated my Cap Cod style house with no problem. Added a blower an it put out some serious heat. We once had a beach party during a blizzard. Wish I would have taken it with me. The only reason I didnt take it was, the new house had an Earth stove (wood burner). Hated it, but used it for 12 years till I finally saw the light and brought a Harman Mag stoker. If the stove is in good shape I would go for it. Wish I still had mine.
Stay warm, Jimmy

tstove

Post by tstove » Fri. Jan. 26, 2007 10:06 pm

I just bought a russo c55 on e-bay this week,picking it up tomorow.I'll try to get it hooked up sat. afternoon,get some pics and post them, let you know how it works paid 300 for it.

tilac999

Post by tilac999 » Sat. Jan. 27, 2007 5:47 am

True, it does sound like a good deal and it's close by but short of renting a big U-Haul truck to haul it all home, impractical. I'd have to make at least 6-7 trips using a friend's pickup....

walter bolcon

Post by walter bolcon » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 9:35 am

Is the Russo C-55 and 3 1/2 ton coal still available? Please advise. Thank you.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 9:46 am

this post was started Jan.29,2007 . Five year old post

walter bolcon

Post by walter bolcon » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi, is the Russo stove and 3.5 ton of coal still available? And where? I am in RI

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Walter, this post and thread is over five years old. The stove and coal are LONG< LONG, gone..

Sorry,
Greg L

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”