Franco Belge Window Gasket

yermanjf
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco belge
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Oil hot water

Post by yermanjf » Fri. Nov. 06, 2009 12:29 pm

This week due to a boneheaded move on my part I broke three of the little glass panes in the door of my Franko Belge 10.275 stove. I have some spare glass panes.
My questionS ARE:

1 I pulled some of the screws out. 4 of the 6 just broke off and i'm now redrilling and tapping. Is there any trick to this?

2. What do I use as a gasket between the door and the glass? There seems to be something in front of and behind the glass.
I called stovepartsplus and they told me that the original gaskett's are not available.
I found that Rutland sells a high temprature caulk, will it work?
Stoveparts plus and my local shop KC Stoves sells window gasket but it looks different that what is there now. Do I just substitute? Do I put it in front and behind the glass?

thanks in advance
john y.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Re-drilling and tapping, nope that is the fix. BUT, use some Copper/Hi Temp "Never-Seize" on the threads when you reinstall.

Something like this, good to 1300 degrees. You local NAPA auto parts type stores probably have it.
https://www.neverseezproductscart.com/shop/advanc ... &x=13&y=13

ctcoalwoman

Post by ctcoalwoman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 6:58 pm

I had the same problem when I went to replace my window gasket. The old asbestos is not available. I ended up using the braided rope gasket and cutting it in half to fit. I had to order new glass and although they swear the glass is sized properly, I could barely fit the strips onto the clean , prepared surface. I almost got out sandpaper to shave a mm off. I also was stripping out the screws and hit them with a little WD40, and was successful at not needing to re-tap. The stove is running now, but running differently than last year. I don't know what happened and hope my window job was adequate. I use to get it so hot and even on the lowest damper setting I was getting a red glow in my hopper plate. Now it runs more reasonably but not as hot.

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Tue. Nov. 30, 2010 9:49 am

When I was repairing my Mother's stove three of the screws broke (luckily there was a little stub left) so I brought the door to a welding shop to have the screws drilled and tapped. What the mechanic did was to heat the door around the windows with a torch and he was able to remove the screws. At the same time he removed the remaining screws.

Cost me a 6 pack of beer and a jar of my homemade spicy pickled eggs.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”