Nester Martin Coal Stoves ?

stopthespending

Post by stopthespending » Sat. Mar. 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Have the hang of it now. Burn time hot is about 10 hours. med heat about 13 hrs. low not sure. Have burned continuously since last post, need to shake about every 8-12 hrs. to keep burning, Overall has kept the house comfortable all winter. Would buy this again if given the choice. :?

DoubleNickel

Post by DoubleNickel » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 12:13 pm

I just bought 2 of these off eBay for $1200 shipped to my door. :cheers: One for the living room and the other, I guess I'll eat for supper. To good of a deal to pass up. Retail is $2500, so that's probably around $2,000 for a deal at a stove shop, maybe? Well, where ever there sold? :discuss:

Been talking to a person (Frank) in Mn. So far so good on his. He's an eBay buyer to. I guess he's finding pea or pea/nut mix is burning pretty good. I never burned coal, so this will be an experiance!!

Well I hope they show up? (stopthespending) Keep me up to date on how it's been treating you.

Cast Iron has got a funny taste. lol :funny:

stopthespending

Post by stopthespending » Sun. Jan. 30, 2011 7:24 pm

I guess you are burning by now. Make sure you keep the ash pan from filling too much, when full it seems to slow the burn. when it is cold we leave the air supply full open most of the time. I hope you were able to get the ones with the operating side door. We heat 2800 sq. ft. with this and a pellet stove, have not used our oil boiler this winter. If you have the side door, when the burn gets low we will throw in a block of wood to get the heat going again. Also you may want to contact the supplier of nester martin US for a set of replacement glass for the door. we use nut coal only.

DoubleNickel

Post by DoubleNickel » Mon. Jan. 31, 2011 12:20 am

stopthespending: Have you used it as a Woodstove? If so, how efficent do you think it is on wood, ash shaking, etc. Mine is the Harmony 3 with the side door.

I don't believe there is a US distributor anymore. The stove looks so well made with thick cast iron, the only part to be concerned with, is the door glass which could be cut here I guess.

If burning wood, what do you think about a log guard to keep the log wood from bumping against the glass?

A log guard can be gotton from England for $250 :o

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Im the man from MN mentioned. At first I liked pea or nut/pea mixed in it but after using it a while I don't think it matters if I use pea or nut. Mine has the side door and I wouldnt get one of these stoves if it didnt have it.

I tried different ways of getting the ash down but settled on just using the poker to knock the ash down twice a day, then shake it for maybe 15-30 seconds.

I did push the glass tighter together and im not real crazy about the glass. It might be the stoves weakest point, just my opinion. Im thinking of a one piece glass but am undecided on that.

Mine is run about 3/8 - 1/2 open and runs fine that way unless there is 0 wind. I live on the prairie so there is usually at least a little wind. I have both kinds of dampers on it.

Putting the chunk of wood on top to get the coal burning worked. thanks for saying that.

Wood works well in it. yes the glass soots up but it burns off with a hot fire. I'm used to grate wood stoves so maybe that helps me some.

I did take a bunch of pics before I used it in case anyone wants to see the grate as it is different, and better, then the one they show online. The hopper is a very heavy, 2 piece, cast iron hopper.

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Please, yes post photos! At $750 shipping included they're certainly priced right. I'd order an extra set of grates or 2 with the stove in case they are hard to find in the future, but, it's a darn good looking stove at a great price.

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Thu. Feb. 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, they're down to $650 shipping included.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Feb. 10, 2011 5:52 pm

I hope my pictures show up. You can tell from the grate where the ash will build up. I didnt take any pics of the hopper. This is the Bayard model. Im sure it doesnt work as well as the better coal stoves like harmon, Hitzer, etc, but it is a lot cheaper. As you can tell, its a nice looking stove. Weighs around 500 lbs.

Attachments

12-26-10 005.jpg
.JPG | 129.2KB | 12-26-10 005.jpg
12-26-10 015.jpg
.JPG | 112.1KB | 12-26-10 015.jpg
12-26-10 003.jpg
.JPG | 99.3KB | 12-26-10 003.jpg
12-26-10 012.jpg
.JPG | 108.1KB | 12-26-10 012.jpg
12-26-10 014.jpg
.JPG | 134.8KB | 12-26-10 014.jpg

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Feb. 10, 2011 6:23 pm

I forgot to mention, the replacement parts are pretty high priced, except for the glass. They have to be ordered from Europe I think.

Joe in NH

Post by Joe in NH » Fri. Feb. 11, 2011 12:48 pm

warminmn - I purchased a Nestor Martin Bayard coal stove on e-Bay about three months ago. I burn coal in a Harman SF260 boiler and did not need this stove but could not pass up what I considered to be a great deal. I will either sell this stove or one of the kids might want to use it. I was familiar with the Nestor Martin because there was one for sale at my local stove shop. It was on deal for $2,100 with a regular price of $2,500. Anyway, you have a top quality European coal stove in the tradition of the Efel and Saey. I have used both of these stoves and would recommend either of them. Do not think that your stove is worse than the American made stoves, it is merely different. The coal ash removal system involves a grate that shakes horizontally. This will minimize the wear on the shaker mechanism and grate but it also limits the amount of coal ash that will pass through the grate and into the ash pan. The critical step in the ash removal process is the use of the flat tool provided to "riddle" or slice the ashes at the bottom of the firebox. This is done by inserting the tool through the little opening with the flap on the front door just below the window. You will find that this method works well and will allow you to get to the areas where the ashes tend to build up from below the fire (not to be confused with below the grate). Good luck with your new stove and remember that you got a great deal on a high quality coal stove. Joe

DoubleNickel

Post by DoubleNickel » Tue. May. 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Harmony 3 parts breakdown-https://www.euroheatshop.co.uk/spares2.php?prod=7 ... =1&mod=old

Coachman parts breakdown-https://www.euroheatshop.co.uk/spares2.php?prod=2 ... &csss=Efel

Glass replacement-http://www.euroheat.co.uk/images/product_images/1 ... cement.pdf

Manual-http://www.forum-chauffage.com/images/coal_manual.pdf

These stoves were made starting in 1986 and continued for ten years.

If anyone has a creosote smell when burning wood. Change all the door gaskets, they were dry rotted on my stove. 1/2inch fiberglass rope for the front, side and hopper cover. 3/8 inch rope for the ash door.

How did everyone make out with this stove for last winter. I'm getting to love this stove.

DoubleNickel

Post by DoubleNickel » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 2:47 am

This has been a GREAT STOVE. Solid cast iron. I have one hooked up and it's runing fine. I bought several. Anyone interested? I have the Bayard Coachman and Harmony available. PM me.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 11:14 am

DoubleNickel wrote:This has been a GREAT STOVE. Solid cast iron. I have one hooked up and it's runing fine. I bought several. Anyone interested? I have the Bayard Coachman and Harmony available. PM me.
Hi DoubleNickel, just curious about the grate in these stoves. On the photos the grate seems all flat and in one piece. So how do you shake it? For the slicing procedure the explanation is perfect but can you shake that grate with some lever?
Thanks

DoubleNickel

Post by DoubleNickel » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Owners Manual
http://www.forum-chauffage.com/images/coal_manual.pdf

Parts Diagram
https://shop.euroheat.co.uk/spares2.php?prod=28&i ... =2&mod=old

Part 75 (grate support) is under the grate, and with (shaker handle) part 26 is located on the back top left of stove. Pull it back and forth and the grate swivels back and forth. Part 74 (grate) does not touch part 79 (the grate suround). The grate is 3/4 inch thick!! This stove weights 480 lbs.

I have been burning wood since I put it in at the end of April,2011. It will take 14 inch wood in the grate suround, then put up to 25 inch wood across the top of the suround. It will burn 3/4 wet wood with no trouble. (not recommended) The bottom fire dries out the upper wood and just burns.

I have just started to burn coal. I am in the learning stage. The hopper takes 40lbs nut coal.

I know this stove inside and out. Just ask warminmn (Frank) in Mn. We email back and forth about this stove. Right Frank?? I think he's getting tired of me. LOL

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Yes, we have been learning from each other.

Ive been burning nut coal since late Oct in mine, using the hopper, as my only source of heat. I really don't use the shaker much as slicing the grate and poking the corners works fine (If I had a slicer with a 90 degree bend I wouldnt need to poke the front corners). Ive been on one match since Christmas. I had burned wood for a couple days around Christmas or it would have been longer. In mild weather I slice it and fill it twice a day. Cold weather its three times. I did raise my hopper up just a little and I replaced the glass with one piece. I also filed the grates slots ever so slightly but other than that I havent done any mods.

You can take it apart somewhat to lighten it up if you move it. When I moved it last spring I had the grate out and really looked it over for damage and there was none. I burned a ton last winter so Im sure if the grate was a weak spot it would have been damaged by then.

ive never used a stove with rocker grates/hopper so I cant make a fair comparison with them. My Dads got a Hitzer 55(no hopper) and that works good too. Its all just learning how to do it right and comes with time.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”