Godin Brick Repair and Seals

XEAA1WT

Post by XEAA1WT » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 4:51 pm

I've been working to install a Godin Petite 3720 and am finally finished; started my first fire (with wood) to get everything going. And, I couldn't keep going - the seal of the stove pipe on the back is really a challenge. The iron exhaust outlet on the back of the stove starts slightly under 4" and gets larger as it goes toward the stove (see pictures). My 4" stainless stove pipe only goes over about 5/8" and I can't verify the stove pipe cement stayed consistent. When I started a very modest wood fire to test everything the draw was great, but the seal from stove to stove pipe was not good - smoked the entire kitchen and house. Not sure if anyone has had any luck making the seal better? Techniques for the cement seal?

Also - the fire bricks/cement inside the stove is in great condition... except for one spot where it has deteriorated completely. About 3/4 x 3/4" hole out to the metal outer shell. Can I thoroughly fill this with fire brick repair? Does anyone have a favorite product?
Thanks.
Jerald

Attachments

full.jpg

Full Installed Stove

.JPG | 73.1KB | full.jpg
close.jpg

Stove Close Up

.JPG | 81KB | close.jpg
Chim 1.jpg

Chimney Connection

.JPG | 54.1KB | Chim 1.jpg
interior 1.jpg

Interior 1

.JPG | 109.2KB | interior 1.jpg
interior 2.jpg

Interior 2

.JPG | 72.8KB | interior 2.jpg

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Wed. Apr. 13, 2022 8:39 am

You got lost in the topic shuffle.

Fix chimney pipe with a big hose clamp to help secure pipe to the flange. Some red or black high heat silicone on the pipe seams.

Use an old paint brush to clean dust and lose material on the bad firebrick spots. Dampen bricks with water and paint brush.
Pack Oatly/Hercules furnace in bad spots.
Press it in hard with putty knife and to smooth it out. Let dry a day or two before firing.

Get that stuff at Lowes. Tube of high heat silicone and Quart of furnace cement. Not the big tub.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Apr. 17, 2022 7:46 am

Did you get it fixed? I'd like to see a fire in it if you have pics.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Apr. 17, 2022 8:14 am

I'm not seeing any screws in that stovepipe connection.

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Sun. Apr. 17, 2022 7:52 pm

"When I started a very modest wood fire to test everything the draw was great, but the seal from stove to stove pipe was not good - smoked the entire kitchen and house."

I don't understand how the "draw was great" but there was much smoke leakage. Do you have a meter to measure the draft? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector installed?

Leo

CarlaKastillio

Post by CarlaKastillio » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 11:19 am

Congrats on getting your Godin Petite 3720 installed.
Regarding the sealant, I've heard good things about high-temperature silicone sealant for stove pipes.

CarlaKastillio

Post by CarlaKastillio » Thu. Mar. 09, 2023 5:55 am

CarlaKastillio wrote:
Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 11:19 am
Congrats on getting your Godin Petite 3720 installed.
Regarding the sealant, I've heard good things about high-temperature silicone sealant for stove pipes.
It's designed to withstand high temperatures and can create a tight, long-lasting seal.
As for the fire bricks, I've heard that Rutland Fire Clay Company makes some good products for repairing fire bricks.
And remember about your gutter system! With all the wood burning you'll be doing, it's important to ensure that your gutters are clear of debris and functioning properly to prevent any water damage to your home. Good luck with your stove project!"

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”