I'm New Here. Saey 92

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 9:38 am

Good morning,
You're welcome. Yes, it's been really cold here recently so, it's burning pretty hot.

I actually don't adjust the damper hardly at all - in the spring when it's warmer I do some adjusting. But, once it gets cold, I don't touch it. I have mine set close to the middle of the arc.

I don't ever shake! I know, radical. I used to shake & I found that it compacted the coal too much and I wasn't getting as good air flow as I do when I don't shake. I use the flat tool and go in underneath (in the slots), moving it back and forth until I see glowing red from below. If the fire is not active, I leave the ash door open for a bit until the coals get hot enough to do so. If there is a lot of ash visible (ie it's been a long time since I've tended it & it's overdue), I'll slice through the coals from above (opening the glass door to do so) first - to allow some air to get up through without significant disruption. I tend to the stove twice a day and tend to go through a hopper full of coal in 24 hours.

Hope that helps.

~Rebecca

paulus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92 daily stove 80 % on coal and Wood 20% efel stoves oxford and efel montana and efel harmony 3 all sold, Dovre 750gm sold
Coal Size/Type: Antraciet from germany ibbenburen size. 20/30
Other Heating: Cv viessmann oil stoker, wood burner

Post by paulus » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanx for the info Rebecca,
After 4 years with this stove i still have trying out,
When tou doong phoke from above the coal, you need to open the front door, but only when dare flames?

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Yes, when I poke through the coal bed I open the glass door. I find that I sometimes have to "cut" through the coals that have sort of become fused together. This then allows more air to get through. I also try to be very mindful of the ash and proximity to the grates - making sure to empty the ash pan to prevent the ash from crowding the grates.

I sometimes do the cutting through from above when there aren't flames and coals are not as hot - it's less disruptive and less risk of losing the fire that way. After I do so, if it feels like it isn't being active enough, I'll then open the ash door and leave it open until they're brighter, scrape from below and wait for flames to start dancing.

~Rebecca

paulus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92 daily stove 80 % on coal and Wood 20% efel stoves oxford and efel montana and efel harmony 3 all sold, Dovre 750gm sold

Post by paulus » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 3:58 pm

ok thanks Rebecca, I'm going to try it the way you do it, the last question, do you use a baro meter? or a manual valve? In youre chimney?
And when i have the ash door open and the flames ar comming up dear are fast big flames realy big flames do you heave this also?

Sorry for my bad bad english

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I used to have a barometric damper. When it rusted out, I decided to try without - I haven't missed it.

I thought these photos might be helpful the first is how the coals looked when I arrived home today, stove had not been tended in 8 hours. I left ash door open while I went to dump the ash pan. When I came back (less than 5 minutes), I scraped ash from below (through the slots) and it looked like the second picture. I then left the ash door open for about 20? minutes until I had blue flames forming. I then closed the ash door.

I don't get really big flames - my flames lip up over the bottom edge of the hopper insert but only by an inch or two. Sounds like you've got quite a bit more draft than I do? One thing to check - I had a problem a couple of times with a little bit of coal getting caught in the damper flap on the back of the stove (so it was letting in WAY too much air) - in desperation, I moved the lever up and down and heard the piece of coal drop! I didn't know it was there until I did that. While the piece of coal was stuck, I could not regulate the temperature AT ALL and had windows open all over the house 'cause it was SO hot! Once I got the chunk of coal out of there, it was able to regulate the damper flap better and it returned to "normal" functioning.

My stovepipe goes into a masonry chimney. I live in a single story home so, the chimney is not too long.

No worries, your English is WAY better than my (nonexistent) Dutch! :)

~Rebecca

Attachments

arrival home.JPG

Appearance upon arrival home after 8 hours

.JPG | 9KB | arrival home.JPG
after ash removal.JPG

Appearance after ash removal from below

.JPG | 10.6KB | after ash removal.JPG

paulus

Post by paulus » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 4:36 am

Ok, dit you never heave this sise of flames? I have it when i put the ashdoor open after i phoke.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dZ2zVwF9l2zioSvs2

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 9:13 am

Only if I've totally forgotten about the ash door and left it open for hours! Sounds like you may need to check your draft. Are you using a baro damper? How quickly are you burning through a hopper full of coal?

~Rebecca

paulus

Post by paulus » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 9:39 am

reckebecca wrote:
Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 9:13 am
Only if I've totally forgotten about the ash door and left it open for hours! Sounds like you may need to check your draft. Are you using a baro damper? How quickly are you burning through a hopper full of coal?

~Rebecca
I’m just mount for the first time a baro,, so i mist try is out tonight/ tomorrow

Before i go to work i fill the hopper, 07:00 in the morning, when i came back at 18:00 sometimes he is almost emty,,, then before i go to bed i fill the hopper again, sometimes 2,5 times

Attachments

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Yes, sounds like you're getting too much draft. As I said, unless it's REALLY cold and windy out, I fill my hopper once every 24 hours and it heats a 1100 sq ft house. If you don't see a huge difference simply with the install of the baro damper, try to get your hands on a manometer in order to set your weight more accurately for your draft.

paulus

Post by paulus » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Thats a big differents,, i like the 24 hours,, tomorrow hopefully i burning with coal, today wood,, the baro works perfect :yes:

paulus

Post by paulus » Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 3:29 pm

hello Rebecca,
it's much better now with a baro,
Only the flames are not so big as it was but they are still too big i think,, see my pictures, this is when i just phoke with the thermostat on 4 (its half way)
Do you have the flames also so big? Or smaller?

And the last pic is when the flames dissapears in about 20 min. This is not so much red es youre pictures..

Attachments

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 3:41 pm

P, if you keep bouncing from one topic to another, you're just gonna confuse the issue. Either listen to Lightning or reccabeka

paulus

Post by paulus » Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Ok Fred, I'm going to do that, sorry

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 6:20 pm

So glad that the baro has helped! My burn looks much closer to your 2nd picture. My flames are not always present but I don't worry about that too much - so long as it's putting out enough heat it doesn't really matter to me if it's flaming or not :)

Your good draft must also be what allows you to be able to burn wood - I can't burn wood in mine or I get smoke leaking out all over the place!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Good call on the flames R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”