tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 11:41 am

reckebecca,

If you don't have a good draft, that's when you have to slice the grates through the front slots. Poke around in each slot all the way to the
back of the grate. Keep slicing until you get a few hot sprinkles falling down from each slot. This lets the air flow get to the fire.
Poke the corners, shake just a little. The fire should come up just fine. After a bit then shake and top poke a little more load the
hopper and you done for another 8 hours or so.
Sometimes a good creative string of profanity helps. Something like you GDMFCSSBBPW

TSB

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 11:56 am

TSB,
Believe you me, there have been many utterings of creative profanity in my efforts to get this thing burning! :) I had a draft that would have sucked a small child out of the living room when we were putting together the stove pipe. However, I seem to have lost much of that in the process of connecting stove to chimney. I have received the loaner manometer and am working on getting a lively enough fire going so that I can use it - stuck the probe in earlier and the needle never even moved! :)

So, I am going to resist the impulse to shake and only poke later today and see if it keeps my fire hotter. Right now, I actually have the ash door closed AND I have blue flames in the front of the firebox. YAY.

Thanks again,
Rebecca

PS - Suggestions on when to open the vents at the top front of the stove? They aren't ever even mentioned in the manual.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 12:10 pm

reckebecca,

The front slots just add an air wash to the glass door. I have mine open all the time except it very warm weather.
It's almost like secondary air in a wood stove. It may help create blue flames on top of the fire.

I burn Meadowbrook coal. They are in Lykens, pa. Most others on this forum don't think much of their coal, but
I like it better than any coal I've ever tried. It is from the southern coal range and has much more of a volatile
nature to it. Even if the fire gets very low or I over shake, I've never lost a fire with Meadowbrook. The
problem is that they are pick up only. No distributors that I know of. Nice people though.

TSB

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 12:33 pm

TSB,
I don't 'think' that these vents have anything to do with the glass - but, I could be wrong. If you look at JoshuaDOC's pics, they are controlled by the brass knobs on the front of the stove.

I am burning Baschak pea - got it bulk from a local suppier.

~Rebecca

JoshuaDOC

Post by JoshuaDOC » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 7:58 am

Rebecca,

You shouldn't need a blower in your ash pan door. That implies that you don't have a significant draft. What is your install like? Talk about your chimney. Do you have a damper? Where is the damper?

Update: I have been trying to burn through coal more slowly. I still have the furnace off and am doing a 50lb bag per day. I still get lots of clinkers... I can cope. I clean it out every two weeks or so while picking large chunks out as I see them with salad tongs. I use the slicer to bring them to the front and grab them. This happens every few days. Otherwise things are good in the home heating world. Other than needing more coal and trying to find a different supplier that has a more 'white' blend. That is the hard part. Next year I may be traveling for my coal.

JoshuaDOC

Post by JoshuaDOC » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 8:01 am

reckebecca wrote:TSB,
I don't 'think' that these vents have anything to do with the glass - but, I could be wrong. If you look at JoshuaDOC's pics, they are controlled by the brass knobs on the front of the stove.

I am burning Baschak pea - got it bulk from a local suppier.

~Rebecca
Those vents are the airwash. They are just for keeping the glass clean. I set them open when I'm lighting the fire... otherwise I leave them closed.

paulus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92 daily stove 80 % on coal and Wood 20% efel stoves oxford and efel montana and efel harmony 3 all sold, Dovre 750gm sold
Coal Size/Type: Antraciet from germany ibbenburen size. 20/30
Other Heating: Cv viessmann oil stoker, wood burner

Post by paulus » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 4:16 pm

JoshuaDOC, i like to see youre picture about youre saey 92 install ? Is that posible? Its a long time ago this post,,,

Thanx

paulus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92 daily stove 80 % on coal and Wood 20% efel stoves oxford and efel montana and efel harmony 3 all sold, Dovre 750gm sold

Post by paulus » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 4:20 pm

JoshuaDOC, i like to see youre picture about youre saey 92 install ? Is that posible? Its a long time ago this post,,,

Thanx

just peter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso 225 C3, Susler Altan, Wasseralfingen 440, Susler Altan
Coal Size/Type: bituminous coal,

Post by just peter » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Hello Paulus,

I think he is not active on the forum anymore.
He has only 12 posts in 9 years.
And the picture is lost with the change to the new board i think.

Peter.

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 6:27 pm

I am not JoshuaDOC but I got notified of this post being revived and I still have my Saey92. I'm not in a place where I can take & upload a picture right now. But, I will try to do so later this evening if you're interested in seeing my installation.

~Rebecca

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanx R. Much appreciated.

paulus

Post by paulus » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 12:04 am

Yes, that would be nice, thanx

paulus

Post by paulus » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 12:06 am

just peter wrote:
Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 5:37 pm
Hello Paulus,

I think he is not active on the forum anymore.
He has only 12 posts in 9 years.
And the picture is lost with the change to the new board i think.

Peter.
Ok, that's what I thought

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Here's a pic of my stove

Rebecca

Attachments

stove.JPG
.JPG | 9.4KB | stove.JPG

paulus

Post by paulus » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:39 am

Nice Rebecca, thanx for the pic,

Its burning nice i think,,

may I ask you what your settings are from the morning ?

First you phoke? Or first shake? Is the coal in de morning not red?

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”