Where to buy bituminous coal near the Texas panhandle?

Vendarien
Coal Size/Type: pea/chestnut bituminous
Other Heating: Forge

Post by Vendarien » Sat. May. 13, 2023 5:37 am

Hello everyone,

I am new here and hope this is a good place to ask this. I did not find any posts about Texas in the search engine.

I operate a business smithing in the Texas panhandle and use a ton of bituminous coal. I prefer pea and chestnut size, but it is easy for me to break up bigger chunks as I work. It is getting really expensive to buy it by the bag full, and a friend in another state suggested I start buying by the ton. I have been searching for hours and have not been able to find the slightest bit of information about buying bulk coal in the region. I live at the base of the Texas panhandle. If any of you has a lead I would be very appreciative.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. May. 13, 2023 8:26 am

Everything I could find was on history of coal mining. One thing I did see was a production number 99% ignite for the year. There are maps showing bit deposits, but I couldn't find any current producers.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. May. 13, 2023 11:44 pm

There's a huge medium and high volatile Bituminous field in Texas, but I couldn't find any dealers or info on the mining either.

Here's a real old post from these forums from 2014 about a place selling Anthracite around Waco. I doubt that they're doing that these days but maybe they know something about places to get Bit? From what little I could find out about them it seems that they're mostly solar.

"by marlin1 » Mon. Jul. 21, 2014 12:08 pm

I talked to this company about coal,??? Natalya Alternative Energy,llc in Waco Texas is going to have 23 tons bagged Anthracite coal available in clean, convenient 50 pound tear resistant poly bags Size of coal: 2 7/6 x 1 5/8 in about 2 month. Check back with us [email protected]"

Natalya Alternative Energy LLC Contact Information
Phone Number: (254) 848-8117
Address: 8400 N State Highway 6, Waco, TX 78712

https://cdn.britannica.com/73/673-050-E92DC58E/areas.jpg

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. May. 15, 2023 11:05 am

https://coalbarn.com/t/blacksmith-coal

Maybe contact these folks for a ton ? 200 lbs for $300 is high but delivered.

Maybe less cost than current.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”