Bit coal around Huron county Ohio

AndreaJane
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2

Post by AndreaJane » Sat. May. 06, 2023 5:04 am

Hello to all you out there. I am looking to get pricing on coal for this coming winter but I'm having difficulty finding bulk bit coal with delivery in my area. I ended up going to tsc and it cost me nearly $750 for a ton. Lol my husband almost had a heart attack. Can't anyone direct me please.
Thank so much

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. May. 06, 2023 7:38 am

You "want" bit or will settle for it?

AndreaJane

Post by AndreaJane » Sat. May. 06, 2023 7:56 am

Well I used anthracite last year but at $750 a ton plus delivery (I went through 2 ton) I might as well plug in space heaters because the electricity is gonna cost just as much. I've burned bit coal before with only a little more ash and it was cheaper so honestly not sure if I'm settling as much as trying to make sure I have enough money to make it through the winter. This year I ran out in March so April was pretty cold around here

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. May. 06, 2023 8:12 am

AndreaJane wrote:
Sat. May. 06, 2023 7:56 am
Well I used anthracite last year but at $750 a ton plus delivery (I went through 2 ton) I might as well plug in space heaters because the electricity is gonna cost just as much. I've burned bit coal before with only a little more ash and it was cheaper so honestly not sure if I'm settling as much as trying to make sure I have enough money to make it through the winter. This year I ran out in March so April was pretty cold around here
Gotcha. I saw where you asked about Sherman coal, so I wasn't sure if you had preference. Member Hoytman is in Ohio, somewhere. Pm him for where he gets his. I know he uses blashak. That's about all I can suggest.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. May. 06, 2023 8:13 am

AndreaJane wrote:
Sat. May. 06, 2023 5:04 am
Hello to all you out there. I am looking to get pricing on coal for this coming winter but I'm having difficulty finding bulk bit coal with delivery in my area. I ended up going to tsc and it cost me nearly $750 for a ton. Lol my husband almost had a heart attack. Can't anyone direct me please.
Thank so much
Why was TSC so much? They were 9.99/bag.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. May. 06, 2023 8:56 am

AJ,For Openers,Welcome To Da' Coal Board..!! Now,let's get started. Back in Da' Day,We had subsections of this Board that were at the State Level. That really helped with issues & questions like Yours. Some States were much more active than others. The general lack of use resulted in them being deleted to make room for more actively used Topic Areas. Soo,now,We'll set up a Topic Thread entitled: "Active Coal Suppliers In Ohio"... This will help You and other Ohio Coalfans.. I'll start this up,and We'll verify every contact as "Actively Operating,Current Pricing,Availability along with Delivery Range & Cost. I'll Humbly Ask for All Our Ohio Members,along with Eastern PA Border Members,to get this list going. Last I knew,PA Coal Buyers had the advantage of no sales tax on Coal Purchases. Whoo-Whee..!!
Now,paying $750 a ton delivered is,cleanly saying it,"Completely Obscene",and Unconscionable.. We've had it Cold & Below Normal in Ohio as of late,so We want to get You,and All Others,Warmed Up..
Now,AJ,We're going into Our "Slow Season" on this here Board. Stand By,Be Patient,and let's see what We can accomplish Together...

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 06, 2023 12:58 pm

AndreaJane wrote:
Sat. May. 06, 2023 5:04 am
Thank so much
Not sure if you are looking for bit to send your husband over the edge or for heating.

However, I find it useful to contact the mines to see if they have a local retailer. The sale of bit is illegal in my state, the burning of it is not. So for those persons burning bit, they have it shipped in from PA.

Check your state and local laws to see if you are under the same restriction with bit. Then you'll know that looking for a local retailer is not going to result in finding one.

AndreaJane

Post by AndreaJane » Sat. May. 06, 2023 8:49 pm

Bob-
Thank you sir, you've completely nailed my problem! I appreciate you taking the time to help get things up and going
David- lol I never even thought to check the state and local laws governing the sales and use of coal. But I guess since they have their tentacles in everything else I shouldn't be surprised. However there used to be several sellers around but they seemed to have just stopped selling which is a shame but I will check because that may be why I can't find any

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. May. 06, 2023 9:31 pm

Bituminous lump coal is available at Spencer feed and supply Spencer Ohio it's Kentucky Blue... Boslers in Middlefield has Anthracite you pick it up he will put it in 1 ton super sacks so you can haul it in a pick up or trailer hes around 385 a ton... I go to Boslers...

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. May. 06, 2023 9:31 pm

Bituminous is perfectly legsl to sell or use in Ohio no regs...

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. May. 06, 2023 11:47 pm

Bingo On Bosler's Arch..!! Well East Of Her,Though.. I finished the outside jobs fully using the only two days of good weather we'll have. Storms probable tomorrow. That all held me up from starting the 2023 Ohio Coal Source Thread,as promised. Well,it's up and on Da' Board. Let's see what We can find to help her out. $750 a ton..That'll literally be a Cold Day In Hell..

2023 Ohio Coal Dealers & Sources

AndreaJane

Post by AndreaJane » Sun. May. 07, 2023 7:50 am

Aww thx guys your all so awesome! I'm so glad I found this

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Mon. May. 08, 2023 6:55 am

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5531858 ... tid=dXMIcH

I asked him about his as the price is stupid cheap... its a high volatile bitty coal...

Theres a lady on FB marketplace selling coal in bags 11 each until shes out...

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Jun. 09, 2023 10:29 pm

Take a drive to Amish country, a lot of them burn coal. I know bramhi located outside of Weston Ohio in Jackson county has it but hauling up there might be stupid expensive.

AndreaJane

Post by AndreaJane » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 5:09 pm

Thank you for letting me know. My father in law goes down there pretty often. Maybe he'll haul it up for me 🙂

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”