coal stove in a mobile home

corum
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: looking at hitzer stoves for mobile use
Coal Size/Type: nut or stove
Other Heating: gas

Post by corum » Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 11:44 pm

Hello everyo0ne. Im corum from alberta canada. ive heated with coal and wood in the past and want to go back to heating with coal. i have sub bit coal to heat with and plan to use a hitzer 82ul or 55ul or a 245 or 345. the problem is in the instuctions all these stoves say they are not approved or recomended for mobile homes. These stoves look great i can see why i could not install any of them safely i have single wide with a second side that i added that has no heat on that side and no vents so i would just open the door between them for heat to flow. with outside air i dont see an issue other than insurance. does anyone know a reason why i should not have one installed?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 04, 2023 7:07 am

I think it depends more on the how you install it. In my mind, which makes it an opinion, if you install it in your addition then it's not IN a mobile home.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 04, 2023 7:25 am

Outside air is the main concern. If you make provisions for combustion air and are able to install it in a manner than your insurance company will approve, your only other concern will be trying to move the heat around.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 04, 2023 8:05 am

Hello Corum And Welcome..!! I'll draw on my first hand experience from over twenty years of Fire & Rescue,FIU(Fire Investigation Unit) Time,On Scene Memories(Over seven Mobile Home Parks within the County that We provided Mutual Aid to other Fire Companies) and hearing and understanding Insurance Nightmares. Let's not forget to mention Manufactured Housing Building Codes that exist in Your Area's National,Provincial and Local Codes.
All that aside,We're discussing Your Home. You make it Safe and Secure for All that live,visit and lay their heads down to sleep there. An effective bottom line philosophy would be that if You're going to employ any solid fuel heating appliance,You do it per the Physics of Your structure,and the heating appliance's demands for proper drafting and operating.
Modern Manufacturing design has traditionally been built to a high insulation,more air-tight mode. This directly affects Your ability to have correct drafting on Your stove. Back in the days when Dane Harman owned and operated Harman Stove Co.,he had a Mark 1 stove design that used outside air for the Combustion Process. This helped satisfy Your needs for a stove in Your type of construction. These type of stoves were great for any kind of smaller,well insulated and super-tight constructed homes,cottages and trailers. They are now rather rare. The Harman Coal Stove line of stoves was purchased and brought back to Life by the Legacy Stoves Division of AHS((Alternative Heatings Systems) of Pennsylvania.
Something to consider is that due to your trailer's type of construction and load bearing capabilities,you'll have to properly floor support the stove's weight,and Your double/triple wall metal chimney's weight/wind resistance in Storms properly. Creating the correct perimeter of zero combustible area for non-combustible items can be a little challenging due to the narrower width of Your home' design.
CO Monitors are mandatory-Period. That's non-negotiable for any structure using any type of heating appliance,anywhere.
Your chimney height to gain proper drafting also ties back to my point of proper support for all circumstances.
Others will chime in on this. Some will state that my points made here are full of "Canadian Bison Dung". I'm unphased,and disaffected. I know what I've witnessed... Give Your Folks,Your Local Fire And Rescue,And Yourself A Break. Do It Right Once,And You'll Sleep Better At Night For It... Take Good Care,Mate..!!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Mar. 04, 2023 9:30 am

Outside air and a stove with plenty of HEATED secondary air.

corum

Post by corum » Sat. Mar. 04, 2023 4:44 pm

thanks for your comments everyone. great information.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Mar. 04, 2023 8:11 pm

You might be able to heat with coal. Maybe. Can't say yes at this moment.

What is and is not a "mobile home" varies location to location.

Its hard to analyze without knowing more about the "mobile home".

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Mar. 05, 2023 6:07 pm

It's your stove and I presume your home. Do what you want, you just can't hold the manufacturer liable if you burn your dwelling down.

That being said, it's probably not a good idea to put a solid fuel heater in a camper and drive down the road with a fire in it which is probably what the lawyers were concerned about.

If the stove is placed in the "second side" it's not installed in a mobile home 😁

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 05, 2023 8:21 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:
Sun. Mar. 05, 2023 6:07 pm
It's your stove and I presume your home. Do what you want, you just can't hold the manufacturer liable if you burn your dwelling down.

That being said, it's probably not a good idea to put a solid fuel heater in a camper and drive down the road with a fire in it which is probably what the lawyers were concerned about.

If the stove is placed in the "second side" it's not installed in a mobile home 😁
That's what I'm saying. :P

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 1:38 pm

Plus 1 on the above!!!

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 11, 2023 8:12 pm

Have you made any progress?

corum

Post by corum » Sat. Mar. 18, 2023 12:55 am

looking at hitzer or the legacy mark stoves. summer project. might just drive to the states and pick up a stove myself and save on the shipping a bit.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”