Fisher mine in central PA to close soon

[email protected]
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: 1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 5 of them
Baseburners & Antiques: 1 pot belly 1 small cook stove
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice and nut

Post by [email protected] » Tue. Dec. 27, 2022 11:13 pm

Just a heads up I was talking to the guys up.at the fisher mine site in english centre PA

They are gonna close mid year next yr due to no being able to get permission to expand mining farther they are almost out of coal.

On another note I'm looking for a new bit coal supplier.semi.close by in central pa region if anyone has any suggestions

The fisher coal.burnt so nice and clean.it was way better than the snowshoe coal I've go in the past

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 12:44 am

Sorry to hear that. I had read something a year or two ago that the Pa. Game Commission wouldn't approve expansion on the Fisher mine. Hopefully someone has a decent source of Bit for you in that area.

It's been at least 30 years since I was there, but back then I remember seeing an active underground mine that was right along one of the paved roads near English Center. Supposedly that was semi-anthracite. Probably long gone and I can't recall the name. Ever hear of it?

[email protected]
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: 1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 5 of them
Baseburners & Antiques: 1 pot belly 1 small cook stove
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice and nut

Post by [email protected] » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 12:05 pm

Stuff is coming out of English Center for fishermine is the closest thing to hard coal stuff doesn't smoke a whole lot unless you really loaded heavy without giving an air and when it gets burning it burns blue flames

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Thu. Dec. 29, 2022 12:49 am

That sort of sounds like semi-anthracite?? Usually that will have at least some yellow flame. The coal deposit maps for those Lycoming County deposits show it as low volatile bituminous.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. Dec. 30, 2022 8:48 am

I got a ton of the Fisher nut from W.L. Hall Lime & Coal Inc. (member Coaljockey ) a couple years ago. Burnt some of it in my first stove which was a plain box stove. It was nice stuff, I wish I had more. It doesn't do so well in my Saey Harmony but I can burn it in my hand fired boiler.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”