Coal heating for moble home

lpirtle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric strip furnace

Post by lpirtle » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 9:35 am

Hi there.. trying to decide on the coal stove that I want to place and the method of venting. I'm trying to place this in a 750 sq foot moble home.. I'm thinking ether where the TV is now or over at the corner where the couch is now.
As far as stoves go.. I was thinking ether the u.s stove potbelly or the Ashley coal curculator.. as I don't see anything else in my price range currently of $1,500 or less but I am open to any suggestions.
This is going to be used on the weekends in order to reduce the heating bill and also as a secondary source of heat in the event of a power failure, I won't be home on the week days to tend to the fire because of work. I plan on burning primarily bituminous, as the only supplier of anthracite here is TSC and that's going for about $9.50 a bag picked up. Though if anyone knows of any other suppliers in or near the daviess County area I would love to hear it.

As far as the chimney goes I don't want to potentially compromise the roof, so I'm thinking about using a duravent kit to go out the wall and up the outside of the home. Is this acceptable or will I have venting problems by doing this?

Attachments

received_855896425429479.jpeg
.JPEG | 118.2KB | received_855896425429479.jpeg
received_5770149269708613.jpeg
.JPEG | 166.1KB | received_5770149269708613.jpeg

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 9:57 am

I can give you my experience with heating a mobile home. We lived in one while I built our house. The stove was positioned in the living room near the entrance to the hall. A fan was used to blow the heat down the hall to the back rooms. Find the smallest stove you can because the newer mobile homes are pretty well insulated and you are only heating about 1000 sq ft. We burned ours very low most of the time and used about 2 tons of hard coal per winter . The chimney was Metalbestos ss straight through the roof. Went through 2 sets in a short while, mainly because the pipe was cool to the touch and condensation caused it to rust out. Our stove was a wood/coal combo made by a local welding shop. The insurance company wanted a stove board under it and a heat shield with an airgap behind it. I used a 4x8x5/8 sheetrock board screwed to the wall with standoffs. I parged it with black mortar in a swirl pattern for affect.

lpirtle

Post by lpirtle » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:07 am

Your input is appreciated. Some further details about the home.. it was manufactured in 1991 so it isn't the newest one out there and has been on the 6 acre property since 2005. I do have experience with wood heat, (my childhood home is on the same property.) But zero with coal, and that was also a tradditional home.. this home isnt. When my dad installed his chimney through his roof back in 2008, he struggled with leaks until a Pro roofer got up there and fixed the leak. That's why I'm kind of nervous about putting a chimney through the roof.
The central strip heat that is in there now puts out 60,000 btus.. so do you think this is a good ballpark to aim for when shopping for a coal stove?

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:26 am

Sounds about right depending on your insulation. Mine was a 1984 new then and ordered with electric baseboard heat because I knew I would be heating with a coal stove. I ran the numbers in the link below, it said 46k btu/hr. I remember being able to open the door for fresh air lots of times with the stove going or it would drive you out of the LvRm.https://betterbuiltnw.com/hvac-sizing-tool

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:54 am

manufacturer usually calls BTU's on the high side--Ya can always damper down--soooo, get a stove a tad bigger then ya think ya need--easier to damper down then to try & get a smaller stove that won't match your needs---just an old farmers thoughts!!!

lpirtle

Post by lpirtle » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:58 am

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:54 am
manufacturer usually calls BTU's on the high side--Ya can always damper down--soooo, get a stove a tad bigger then ya think ya need--easier to damper down then to try & get a smaller stove that won't match your needs---just an old farmers thoughts!!!
And I'm assuming that the sq footage ratings aren't exactly reliable.. I noticed that the Ashley stove states that it can heat 2000 sq feet at 60,000 btus.. while a forced air coal furnace puts out double the btus at 130,000 but only states 500 more sq feet. Wonder how that math works out. :what:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 12:43 pm

lpirtle wrote:
Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:58 am
And I'm assuming that the sq footage ratings aren't exactly reliable.. I noticed that the Ashley stove states that it can heat 2000 sq feet at 60,000 btus.. while a forced air coal furnace puts out double the btus at 130,000 but only states 500 more sq feet. Wonder how that math works out. :what:
A stove runs level and a furnace has cycles is the difference there.

And 750 sq ft is a very small load with coal.
I wouldn’t oversize in your situation.

If not for for use during/in a power outage you might consider this…
You’d do better with a pellet stove since only wanting weekends heat.
Smaller flue and easily go out side wall.

Not as cheap as coal but everything else considered not all that bad for weekends.

As for budget look to get a used pellet stove instead of brand new one.

Locally here, for example, there is a used Englander for $800. and comes with 16’ of vent pipe.

lpirtle

Post by lpirtle » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 1:12 pm

Alright.. I'll give pellet (or possibly rice coal) a look. I wonder, can these be unattended for days at a time? And what is the difference to a stocker and a pellet stove?
Also, is there anyway to run these during an outage?

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 2:43 pm

Where do you live?
I have a small btu TriBurner stoker stove that would be perfect for a small house. I have a boiler now, no use for it.
It's 35,000 btu's

lpirtle

Post by lpirtle » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 3:28 pm

I live around the owensboro, kentucky area.
Interesting. Never heard of a tri burner.. how does that work? What would I need to run a stoker? I wasn't considering a stocker until today, so I hadn't thought to do any research on them.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 6:22 pm

lpirtle wrote:
Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 3:28 pm
I live around the owensboro, kentucky area.
Interesting. Never heard of a tri burner.. how does that work? What would I need to run a stoker? I wasn't considering a stocker until today, so I hadn't thought to do any research on them.
Sorry I just saw you posted this in the bituminous coal section. These stokers burn Anthracite rice coal. Not sure if bituminous coal would burn in one of these stoves.

lpirtle

Post by lpirtle » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 6:44 pm

OK.. The reason why I posted this in the bituminous section is because bituminous seems To be significantly cheaper in my area than anthracite is. I can get anthracite nut But I'm not sure if I can get Rice or not I would have to check the tractor supply that's in my area
However I am starting to recognize that I might have posted this in the wrong section... Especially since I'm considering burning both types, Anyway to move this to a better section?

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 6:50 pm

Don't try to burn bit in a anthracite stoker some can do it but some catch the coal in the hopper on fire.

Chimney should be stainless steel prefabricated chimney brand doesn't matter it just has to be stainless steel.

Run it straight through the roof don't run it through the wall an up you will have problems with crap clogging the elbow or tee, I know it can be tempting to run it through the wall but it's going to cause problems. Bit can produce a lot of fluffy soot but it doesn't burn like wood creosote so the danger of a chimney fire is practically non-existent. You might want to go with 8" if you can afford it.

$1500 isn't much if that is the total budget but it's doable check FB marketplace craigslist ECT look for a "circulator stove" wonder coal is what dad had when I was a kid it worked ok in our 1983 double wide. Stove pipe is expensive and will be most of the cost.

If you are interested in burning exclusively bit for heat and want to have very little fussing look for a combustioneer or firetender stove.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:35 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:
Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 6:50 pm
If you are interested in burning exclusively bit for heat and want to have very little fussing look for a combustioneer or firetender stove.
In a 750sq. ft. mobile home only home on weekends??

Do ppl know what size this space really is!!!

Coalblooded
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Jensen 24a
Coal Size/Type: Ky lump, bituminous

Post by Coalblooded » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 12:54 am

Id say a nice cabinet warm morning, there is one for sale in the classifieds right now. Prolly do juuust right

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”