New assistance operating a vermont castings vigilent with bituminous
Thanks

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 7:18 am

Welcome! We've got a few fans of the Vigilant Stoves here. Vig2Pea Burner's one that comes to mind. While your waiting for helpful advice,you can start by using Our Search Bar in the upper right of your screen. Type in your specific stove,and feast your eyes! Another helpful thought: These Fine Animals Love Pics of your Stove and Set-Up. Perhaps provide details about your chimney ie height,flue size,wood burning history with cleanout and the size of the structure you're trying to heat. The size of coal your using,and your coal bed depth can't hurt either. Stay Patient,Start Reading,and eventuall you'll meet some help from the "Coal Cavalry"!

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 3:44 pm

I have one and ran it for a season an found a bit stoker to replace it (my wife had a hard time tending it).

There is a newer model that I had and an older one. Mine has the ashpan that sits in a tray on the ashdoor and swings out with the door. It also takes some firetools one is a slicer that fits between the grates an a handle for the shaker grate.

There is a restrictor plate in there I can't remember for sure but, I think I had to take it out.

Set the internal damper so the smoke goes out the pipe and leave it there. Start your wood fire, and add some orange to grapefruit sized pieces of coal once the wood is burning. Keep adding coal a little at a time.

Now the don'ts do not close the internal damper so the smoke spends more time in the stove unless the coal has burned to coke. You will starve the fire for air and it will burn very poorly and soot up the stove and chimney.

Do not completely cover the fire with fresh coal or it will poof.

Do not run it hard enough to make any part of it glow, it's easier than you might think.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Wed. Nov. 02, 2022 10:22 am

The restrictor plate is used burning bituminous, removed for burning anthracite.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”