Inconsistant burn

Mcguyver
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hotblast 1557m
Coal Size/Type: Bit coal

Post by Mcguyver » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 11:20 pm

New to coal. Hotblast 1557M. Modified cumbustion air above firebrick. I am burning bituminous coal ( football size ). One day i burn really good & clean. Complete burn, fine ash. I rake my hot coals to the side & load 4 or 5 large chunks to the other side. The next day i do exactly the same thing & my shop fills with smoke. I open the shop doors to clear the air & there is smoke bellowing out of any place it can. I keep the bottom draft open 8 turns & the door draft open. I notice when it does this about every 5 seconds a puff will come out the door draft & constant stream comes out of stove pipe connections ( which are tight ) also i stripped the outer pannels off & no blower fans. Just radiant heat. It runs 450-650 degrees. I cleaned a bunch of soot out of the stove pipe & chimney is 20’. So why a good burn one day & smoke the next? Shake down 4-5 times a day.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 11:23 pm

Clogged with soot again.

Mcguyver
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hotblast 1557m
Coal Size/Type: Bit coal

Post by Mcguyver » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 11:31 pm

Just cleaned it 2 days ago. What am I doing wrong?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 11:38 pm

Check it again. Load less, more often. Soot is the most likely so has to be checked for. Any manual damper can clog fast.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 1:12 am

Why are ya burnin bit??

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 9:16 am

When I burn bit I try to keep a lot of flame going when I reload. Helps burn the smoke off and there is much less soot. The size coal I get is a mix of nut and stoker. I get huge smoke because it’s hard to get air going through the coal for the flame. Since you have large size coal I would think you would get plenty of air through the coal. You have to be careful not to let it run away though. Keep a bucket of ash on hand for an emergency shut down. You can get too much air and put your flame out if it’s not well established. It’s kind of a balancing act. Once the flame is out the billowing smoke starts and it will roll like that until it re ignites. Sometimes when it re ignites that smoke will fire off too and can be serious if it’s built up enough. 8” stove/chimney pipe will help with soot clogging.

This post may help a little. I think this guy is burning coal similar in size to yours.

Post by Ky Speedracer - Newbie With Hotblast/Clayton Burning Kentucky Bituminous

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 11:08 am

Keep your over fire air door open at least half way. It keeps a flame better.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”