Sub-bituminous recommendations

JohnS2025

Post by JohnS2025 » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 12:14 am

Hello! I'm brand new here and I'm looking for recommendations for a coal stove. I work at a coal fired power plant, so i have access to free reject coal, but it's all sub bituminous.

I'll be living in a camper during a northern Montana winter and I'm trying to prepare while it's still warm and early. Don't worry about the stack, our camper has been modified to accommodate but size will definitely be an issue.

If possible I'd like something fairly efficient, that can last over night with no maintenance. And if you guys can point me to any threads someone new to coal stove burners should read, I'd appreciate it.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 9:12 am

If I was going to burn bit in any sized camper I would mount a kitchen type vent with fan somewhere above and near the stove to suck out any smoke when you open the door.

A room attached to the camper may work out better but may not be possible.

What size camper? How old is it? In the wide open or sheltered area? What size is the coal?

You likely will need a stove that puts out more heat than you really need so may have to leave windows open sometimes but campers are hard to heat anyway. Leaving out true antiques, Hitzer 55, Hitzer 81, Warm Mornings and their variants, Riteway 37, with the last 2 probably being found in your area and the 1st 2 having to be bought new and shipped to you. The 81 and 37 may be too large so would have to close off half of the grate. Those are just some guesses. Plus antiques as mentioned.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Tue. Jun. 23, 2020 10:06 am

Disclaimer: I have only burned bituminous coal.

Size of coal is going to matter, if it's been ground to dust forget it. If it's mostly fist sized and bigger you will be all right.

I suggest a warm morning stove just make sure the hollow bricks are not gone.

JohnS2025

Post by JohnS2025 » Tue. Jun. 30, 2020 2:46 am

Thank you guys for the recommendations. The coal itself is reject so it's about 3-4" round and broken up to smaller bits because of a larger fall. Shouldn't be anything smaller than 1". I've been looking into getting a warm morning but i've had no luck so far locating one, which is a shame.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 30, 2020 6:58 am

J, if anybody knew where ya are from--ya might get some help findin one.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 11:51 pm

There are also antique stoves out there that would burn your coal well.

Florence hot blast it one that I know of. There are probably others, the feature you want is over fire air/secondary air that is pre heated.

I recall ds machine stove company having a overfire add on option that replaced a firebrick. It was a hollow cast iron piece.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”