Hitzer 50-93 burning bituminous

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Just wanted to share. I have my 50-93 burning on Heritage Coal ROM from Meyersdale Somerset Co. PA. It’s doing much better than I anticipated. It is completely filled with bituminous at this point. I added it in by 3 loads since I don’t have over fire air and didn’t want to blow my stack off. I found there is a gap of about 1/4-3/8”between my two front firebrick that leads down below the grates so I feel like some fresh air is getting to the top of the fire through there. I started mostly with white oak and started adding bigger lumps of bit. As it started to take and got done gassing off I added some smaller pieces and 2-3 shovels of fines. This coal burns with surprisingly little smoke (none once initial burn off) and not a real strong smell although you can sometimes smell it outside if you know what your looking for. After the initial burnoff with yellow flames, the sustained burn is a nice glow with thin transparent blue flames just like anthracite. I have always kept an open flame on top and have yet to have any kind of a puff. I’ve had some pretty good ones with anthracite. Anyway I’m pleasantly surprised and as cheap as the stuff is, if I lived closer I would definitely always have some of this bituminous on hand. It seems to have MUCH LESS ash than anthracite. The stove is running between 325-450 with a stove pipe temp of 200 (400 internal) -.05 draft. When I load fresh coal, I always throw a piece of wood in with to keep a pilot light going on top. Stove Temps will sometimes spike up to 500 and an internal stack temp of 600-800. -.08 draft. It seems to me as this bituminous is the perfect shoulder season coal. Here’s a picture about 3 hours after loading. Just wanted to share my experience.

Attachments

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Here’s the coal. Some of the basketball and beach ball pieces I take a rock chisel and a 3 pound hammer. A few bops with that and this is what I get.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 971.2KB | image.jpg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Apr. 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Can’t say about bituminous, but with anthracite I wouldn’t put any wood on top of a big load of coal. Ask me how I know. Lol! It’s like a run away train. Thank God for tongs and a short distance from the stove to the door. LOL!

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. May. 01, 2020 4:35 pm

But coal is sort of like wood in the sense it has volatiles that cook out and burn. Wood and bit coal burn together well the wood does burn faster than the coal.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”